Ransomware killed 70% of Washington DC CCTV ahead of inauguration [telecom]

Huge ransomware. The best ransomware. Ransomware [which was] fixed with a wipe-and-restore

Criminals infected 70 percent of storage devices tied to closed-circuit TVs in Washington DC eight days before the inauguration of President Donald Trump.

The ransomware infection downed 123 of its 187 network video recorders, each controlling up to four CCTVs, and forced the city to wipe its affected IT systems which it says did not include deeper componentry of the Washington DC network.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Guilty pleasure: I love stories that show how overdependence on computers leads to more problems.

Just wait for the "Internet Of Things" to arrive: you'll try to open your refrigerator door, and hear a message telling you your meat will be thawing unless you fork over a couple of hundred clams.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Per Monty Solomon:

It would have been interesting to hear how all those machines got infected.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Very easily. The DVtel servers which tie it all together had the default password left on them. It took me something like ten seconds to find it on line.

My company helps manage Boston's servers, and they don't have the default passwords, nor are they directly accessible from the Internet. But a nearby city had its servers on the school network, which did have Internet access, and had the same password, and got hacked too.

It is amazing how many people don't change default passwords.

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Besides being common sense, its part of every single IT audit I've ever gone through, do you immediately change all vendor default passwords on everything as part of your corporate policy?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.