QR Codes (was A quizzical response to the new bar codes) [Telecom]

***** Moderator's Note ***** > How is this different than what "Cue-Cat" tried to do? > Does anyone remember Cue-Cat? > > Bill Horne > Moderator

Cue-cat required the user to use a special device (the Cue-Cat scanner) connected to a computer. QR codes can be read by any smart phone equipped with a camera and the appropriate app. An app can be downloaded free if the phone isn't already equipped.

QR Codes aren't exactly new, although they're only recently starting to appear in pop culture. They are used in newspaper ads, product labels, signs, and websites. Examples:

- The City of Manor, Texas uses them to identify city-owned properties.

formatting link

- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service uses them along "iNature" trails in place of printed trail guides.

formatting link

- New York City outfitted Times Square with giant QR codes to celebrate Internet Week 2010.

formatting link

- I use them on two of the websites that I run:

formatting link
I haven't yet seen an "Occupy" protest sign with a QR, but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

The CueCat business model was based on selling (renting?) "CueCodes" to advertisers and providing click-track data. 'Digital:Convergence Corp.' operated servers (until January 2002) which handled the CueCode to URL linkage.

QR codes allow inclusion of data (up to 4,296 alphanumeric chracters) in a machine readable format in a variety of media without paying for, or relying on, a third party service.

In both cases the end result is the same from the user's point of view: scan a bar code and retrieve data.

CueCode sample at

formatting link
More info at
formatting link
and
formatting link

Reply to
Steve Kostecke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.