Q.: Prepaid UK data SIMs [Telecom]

• Moderator's Note. Pay Attention. This is important. *
  • PLEASE PUT "[Telecom]" IN YOUR SUBJECT LINE! *

Expecting to be in the UK for a week in April, with a laptop and Sierra Wireless Air Card, I welcome advice as to which UK wireless carriers offer reasonably priced prepaid data SIMs that I can use with the Air Card to achieve net- connectivity.

Name of carrier, marketing name of data SIM, and ball-park pricing estimates would be helpful.

Thanks very much; and cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

That's a tough question. The mobile broadband market in the UK is quite competitive, but everyone issues you a USB dongle modem. I haven't looked at the dongles so I don't know whether they have a separate SIM, or whether the dongles do something different from what the card modems do. There's a mobile phone store about every 12 feet from one end of the UK to the other, so your best bet may be to drop into one or two of them and see what they have to offer.

Rather than prepaid, you'll probably be better of with a 30 day plan, a monthly contract which you can cancel on 30 days notice, so if you're going to be there for a week, you call and cancel the day after you sign up. The prices are pretty reasonable, Orange offers 3GB monthly for £19.57, T-Mobile prepaid charges £2/day or £10/week or £20/mo with a 3MB monthly cap, but that may require a £39 dongle.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.