Problem using modem with phone on T junction - when drop call [telecom] on local analog phone, remote end not detecting disconnect

Hello

I have a normal analog phone and a modem going into a telephone T junction and then into master socket to exchange. The reason for this is I have problem collecting the Caller ID from the serial port of the modem. The modem is not used for anything else. to answer the call I use the ordinary phone.

Now the problem I have is that if I drop the call on my local phone the other end doesn't seem to get a disconnection indication? Their end just stays 'line' indefinitely. If they have eg digital handsfree telephones and don't drop their end they seem to stay 'live'.

I tried a few things. I used ATH on the modem to drop the call - but this makes no difference.

Any ideas why this would be happening? Could different wiring affect it?

Any suggestions on how to send a disconnection 'indicator' to the other end?

Angus

Reply to
Angus
Loading thread data ...

Possibly defective modem?

I have a USR external modem (retired to the "emergency backup" drawer) that works fine, shuts down a PPP connection on ATH but fails to actually go on-hook. Picking up the phone after a modem session has apparently terminated finds the connection to the remote site still up. Only manually powering down the modem or unplugging the cable drops the connection. Clever or arcane Hayes commands were no help.

I assumed lightening damage at the time I discovered and retired it. But who knows?

Reply to
Mike Spencer

You did issue a Hayes escape sequence +++ and then wait 1000 milliseconds before issuing the on-hook-please command ATH, right? Otherwise, ... .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Yes, yes. The modem was working properly, failed in daily service. I'm as sure as anyone who's not a hardware wonk can be that it was failed hardware. Hence the post to suggest failed hardware to the OP.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Sorry, Mike, I just had to make sure that no stone had been left unturned. Think the OP used that +++ [wait] ATH [enter] correctly as well?

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.