Preoccupations - I Freed Myself From E-Mail's Grip [Telecom]

Preoccupations I Freed Myself From E-Mail's Grip

By LUIS SUAREZ The New York Times June 29, 2008

EARLIER this year, I became tired of my usual morning ritual of spending hours catching up on e-mail. So I did something drastic to take back control of my productivity.

I stopped using e-mail most of the time. I quickly realized that the more messages you answer, the more messages you generate in return. It becomes a vicious cycle. By trying hard to stop the cycle, I cut the number of e-mails that I receive by 80 percent in a single week.

It's not that I stopped communicating; I just communicated in different and more productive ways. Instead of responding individually to messages that arrived in my in-box, I started to use more social networking tools, like instant messaging, blogs and wikis, among many others. I also started to use the telephone much more than I did before, which has the added advantage of being a more personal form of interaction.

I never gave up my work e-mail address, because I still need it for some work-related activities - for example, for one-on-one discussions that are too private and confidential to discuss publicly.

I was in a good position to give up most of my other e-mail because I'm a "social computing evangelist" for I.B.M. and have used social software tools for years to collaborate on projects and to share knowledge. I live in the Canary Islands off the coast of Spain and report to managers in the United States and the Netherlands. Between time differences and participation in various projects, it's important that I spend my time efficiently.

I have had continuing support from my management in this effort, because I've been able to prove how much more I can accomplish by answering a question, and posting it on a blog, for example, than I can by answering the same question over and over. I still help people, but in a more open and collaborative fashion. Other people can join in the discussions - maybe they will have a better idea than mine.

I started this experiment by announcing my intention on a couple of blogs, like my personal one and blogs inside I.B.M.'s firewall. The postings in response were overwhelmingly positive - but I also encountered some skepticism. Many people wondered how I would manage to communicate and collaborate with my peers without using e-mail.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

[snip]
[snip]

The words "vested" and "interest" come to my mind...

Personally, I *do* agree that it can be beneficial to adopt a disciplined manner Re. email; but I fail to see that social networking would be any less stressful or productive. I'd just be F5-ing a webpage every few minutes rather than checking my emails!

Reply to
David Quinton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.