Power Outage. Phone Says "Out of Range". Help. [Telecom]

The power went out at my house. I have voice over internet. Now my GE

24 GHz phone screen readout says, "Out of Range". I have disconnected my modem, router and Lynksis adapter and phone connection then reconnected them. I still get the same readout. I have no other phone to use to say call my ISP or VOIP. What should I try to do? Please help. Earl Williams, Surrey, British Columbia
Reply to
thoseradiodays
Loading thread data ...

Sounda like the OP is using a 2.4 ghz (not 24) cordless phone with the base plugged into the "phone" jack of his VOIP converter.

So natch, when the power went out, the cordless base and the phone de-synced. (Bases and phones have to "match up" or synchronize or recognize... each other as a security feature so you can't take your phone and latch onto your neighbor's radio signal).

There's going to be some way to re-synch them. Chances are simply placing the handset into the cordless base will do it.

Reply to
danny burstein

An "out of range" message means that the wireless handset is not communicating with the 'base station'. For 'some' reason.

Assuming you've eliminated the obvious possibilities -- like one unit or the other is 'turned off' -- the next most likely explanation is that the two units have 'lost synchronization' as far as channel assignments and/or the encryption keys to use. The owner's manual _should_ address how to resync things in this event. One 'guess' put the phone in the base, power _down_ the base station, wait a while (at least 30 seconds) and re-apply power to the base station.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Of course I'm sure you mean 2dot4 GHz cordless phones. At any rate...

Since you have an internet connection for making VoIP phone calls, and your internet connection works; it appears its a simple problem with your cordless phones. They have nothing to do with an internet connection or VoIP - they are just dumb POTS phones that plug into an RJ-11 of your VoIP box.

Try unplugging the power from your cordless base station. Power it back up. Drop the cordless phone back in the base station charging cradle and it should re-register itself with the base station. Or try various other combinations...better yet, see what your GE user manual says.

Reply to
DTC

Those mega handsets have to be re-registered if they lose power once the batteries lose power. On the base as well as the remote there should be a menu program which allows you to do it, look in the users manual.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.