Polling switches for record information - any guidance? [Telecom]

Hi,

I'm developing an application that requires records from lucent and nortel switches for analysis. I am not an expert on the capabilities and functions of switches - still learning. I am wondering if there is a telnet type functionality available to the switches whereby you can connect via TCP/IP and spool the record information to an output file? Or is there a function/command you can run to create a frequent output file that can be obtained by ftp/sftp. My objective is to periodically and automatically download the switch information to analyze the results and perform further investigation on the configurations therein for validity. Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Gerard

Reply to
gerard
Loading thread data ...

I know from previous (long time past, now) experience that info from switches (real time and otherwise) is controlled totally by the switch manufacturer, and sometimes they decide to only allow access to their own management systems or to third-parties that pay a licence fee for the privilege of accessing the interfaces.

There are usually "next best" options which involve collecting data via legacy ports and then you have to implement your own solution for transport/analysis etc.

This may be different now, so hopefully some others will offer more info.

Reply to
David Clayton

Advice: _define_ what you need to do in much greater detail. Both so you know what you need to do, and so that someone you ask has a =hope= of giving meaningful suggestions.

The "class"/size of switch involved makes a *BIG* difference. Things are very different on a multi-exchange-handling CO switch, vs., say, a Nortel "MICS".

You can be pretty well assured of serial-port based 'dumb terminal' console capabilities. One can almost assuredly extract whatever one needs via this interface, using little more than a PC, and a terminal program (like KERMIT) with decent 'scripting' and session-capture capabilities.

If the switch has TCP/IP connectivity, there will probably be a way to access a similar-appearing 'console' over the network. It may be as simple as telnet, or it may require a custom application on the connecting machine. For a telnet- type interface, a scriptable, session-capture capable, terminal program (KERMIT will talk over TCP/IP as well as serial ports) will allow you to get at the data.

Depending on what you're looking for, there _may_ be something like an FTP capability -- to pick up everything at once, rather than screen-by-screen.

For switch configuration stuff, this may be in a specialized 'backup' capability, rather than a general 'file transfer' function.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I think they do, or at least that is how Vonage does it.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.