Please recommend a range-extender for Verizon cell phones [telecom]

I'm living in the mountains of North Carolina now, and the cell service is sub-optimal. I've decided to install a range extender so that I can get reliable coverage under my tin roof.

If you use one, please tell me what it cost, where they may be obtained at the lowest price, how well it performs, and the things you would like to have known before you bought it.

Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Do you have good internet service there? If so, you've got a lot more options.

- many of the "cellular" carriers offer phones that can hook up via WiFi

Reply to
danny burstein

My brother gave me a new phone: a Samsung 4G LTE unit with a copy of Firefox on it, and applications for GMAIL, Freecell, and several dozen other things I never knew could be placed in a cellphone. It has WiFi access, but I don't know enough about it to set it up for WiFi phone calls, or even if the phone can do that. Hell, I don't even know how to find out the model number.

I welcome suggestions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Assuming you have some sort of broadband at home, your Samsung phone almost certainly runs Android, so it is easy to set up your phone to use wifi data when available rather than mobile data. But Verizon doesn't do wifi phone calls, so you still need a cell signal for that.

To make the phone part work, get a femtocell:

formatting link

It's tiny cell tower that uses your broadband for backhaul. Assuming your broadband is reliable, it's likely to work better than a range extender, and it's a lot easier to set up, just plug it in and run an Ethernet cable from it to your router.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Bill,

I think this is what you need a Samsung Network Extender SCS-2U01 from Verizon's website: Samsung Network Extender (SCS-2U01) SKU #SCS-2U01 Boosts your 3G voice and data coverage Works like a miniature cell phone tower Includes 1 year limited warranty from manufacturer

[Moderator snip]

The Network Extender enables you to make calls from indoor locations where outdoor cellular coverage does not reach. The Network Extender works like a miniature cell phone tower in your home providing enhanced coverage for up to a 5,000 square foot area.The new 3G EV-DO Network Extender will boost data coverage and speeds in the home, along with supporting voice calls. The 3G Network Extender is ideal for customers who want to boost their wireless signal when making voice calls, sending text/picture/video messages, accessing Mobile Web or accessing Smartphone/BlackBerry data in situations that could include houses with structural barriers, in basement rooms, or in some remote, mountainous or hilly areas.

[Moderator snip]

Simple Setup and Management

Easy to install. Plug into your high-speed Internet connection and place near a window. Sign in to My Verizon to create your optional managed access list.

Reply to
John Schmerold

Most phones will switch their data to Wi-Fi if they pick up a network they're associated with. But phone calls come via the CMRS network,. So I see them as complementary, not a substitute for oe another. Another variant is the femtocell, in which you buy a box from the cellco which uses your Internet wired connection for backhaul, and puts out a cellular signal in your house. There may be a hack (but only on T-Mobile, I think, and some MVNOs) where some can move calls to VoIP ia Wi-Fi to the phone. Either way, they probably charge you for airtime minutes even when you don't even use their airtime. ("Such a deal!")

The biggest maker of cellular extenders that I can think of is Wilson Electronics. They make boxes that have two antennas, one that you stick up on the roof with a coax feed which picks up the weak cellular signal, and one that's inside your house feeding you the amplified signal. AFAIK these are simple bandpass amps and thus handle all modes of modulation of all carriers, and don't actually "log in" to the networks.

The FCC made some kind of ruling about their legality some time ago but I didn't read it. (I think they were approved if the cellco didn't object.) Nobody gets grief for using them in weak-signal places like where you are.

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

My thanks for all the suggestions: I decided to follow John Levine's advice, and I ordered the Femtocell. I was surprised to find that the Verizon price ($250) was the lowest one available, with Amazon offering new units for over $400.

Counting taxes, I paid about $265 for it. It will arrive tomorrow.

Range Extenders are tempting, espeially since they're not tied to one carrier, but I'd probably have to get the antenna up on the roof to make it work - assuming there' a cell site visible from up there - and I just had a roof redone after ice dams last winter, so I'm not disposed to risk any damage to my new home.

Bless your hearts: I appreciate y'all taking time to help!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

On 10/5/2015 10:13 AM, Bill Horne wrote: ...

Well, Bill, it doesn't really have to go on a roof. It would be very happy on a 70' Rohn 25 tower!

("Why honey, of course we need the tower, we want good cellular coverage, don't we? Oh, and I might put a few other antennas on it, so long as I'm putting it up for your cell phone.")

-de k1io

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

That part I can perhaps help you with:

On the "home" screen (or on the "All Apps" list) find and tap on the Settings icon (maybe a gearwheel, maybe a wrench and screwdriver, maybe an UC Greek Xi).

There should then appear an option, About Phone (or similar). Tap that to find more than you ever expected.

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

The pointer to the Femtocell on Vz was eye-opening. Interestingly, Vz is charging $250 for that.

Given Vz changing their price structure on me (apparently I'm in the 1%):

formatting link

I've been looking at other providers. Looks like T-Mobile will give you a "personal cellspot" for FREE!

formatting link

Unclear if that will make up for spotty coverage overall, but given the no-contract and my plan to bring my own phone, that seems worth trying. Making it free to get guaranteed coverage in my house solves a huge hurdle.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matthew Gillen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.