Phone number helped track terror suspect [telecom]

The New York Times reported how a telephone number helped track and identify the suspect in the Times Square attempted bombing.

For full article please see:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff or Lisa
Loading thread data ...

Isn't it great how the NY Times tells future bombers how not to get caught next time. What's with that anyway. Why are key details made available so they can be published?

Reply to
jch

I don't think the NYT did anything wrong here. The guy gave his phone number to a government agency and then 3 months later used it to call people in Pakistan. Anybody with half a clue should have been able to figure out that wasn't such a smart idea. Heck, shows and movies like "24" and "The Bourne XXX" show you more about how to avoid detection than the NYT published.

Mythbusters recently had a show where they demostrated what it takes to blow up a propane tank (a lot, actually). They were trying to see if they could turn the tank into a rocket (no), but the show could serve as a lesson on how to make one go boom. Should we censor them, too?

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

When I was at university, the student newspaper published a method that student library employees were using to steal library books. Quite frankly, the method was somewhat obvious if anything thought about it and didn't require that one be a library employee. I was rather annoyed each time I couldn't find certain books in the stacks that I needed for papers and wondered if they were stolen based on the method described in the student paper.

I don't think newspapers and books turn people into criminals, but yes, I do think that those who are so inclined may learn from what they read. No, that doesn't make newspaper publishers and authors accomplises.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.