Personal VoIP Network: Suggestions Requested

Hi:

I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as below:

Phone(POTS)+---+PC+---+Gateway+---------+(Internet)+---------+Gateway

+---+PC+---+Phone(POTS) | | | | | Line+----------------- + +------------------+Line

To install the system, I may need following components in both locations:

1) Each PC (Windows XP) at both locations should have: a) Network card connected to internet services; b) Gatekeeper and Call Processing software been installed and running; c) Phone line from wall is connected to the RJ11 port (line); d) Phone is connected to the RJ11 port (phone); 2) Each Gateway (either PCI card or modem like box) connected to the PC at one side and other to the internet (either through modem or home network router).

Now, I have questions and need your suggestions:

1) What Gatekeeper and Call Processing software should I use ? (I prefer open source and free). 2) Where can I buy a good "Gateway" (PCI card or modem like box) ? 3) Do I need any management software installed in the PC (for configuration) ?
Reply to
akarui.tomodachi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.