Per Call Block *67, the FCC and Vonage. [Telecom]

Some of the time per-call block (*67) works on my Vonage service, but most of the time it does not. When I precede a call with "*67" Vonage delivers stutter dial tone, thus making it appear that the feature is activated on that call.

With two very limited exceptions FCC regulations require that SS7-capable carriers honor *67. This is set forth in 47 Code of Federal Regulation 64.1601, of which I cite the pertinent language:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

47 CFR 64.1601:

(b) Privacy. Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, originating carriers using Signaling System 7 and offering or subscribing to any service based on Signaling System 7 functionality will recognize *67 dialed as the first three digits of a call (or 1167 for rotary or pulse dialing phones) as a caller?s request that the CPN not be passed on an interstate call. Such carriers providing line blocking services will recognize *82 as a caller?s request that the CPN be passed on an interstate call. No common carrier sub-scribing to or offering any service that delivers CPN may override the privacy indicator associated with an interstate call. Carriers must arrange their CPN- based services, and billing practices, in such a manner that when a caller requests that the CPN not be passed, a carrier may not reveal that caller?s number or name, nor may the carrier use the number or name to allow the called party to contact the calling party. The terminating carrier must act in accordance with the privacy indicator unless the call is made to a called party that subscribes to an ANI or charge number based service and the call is paid for by the called party.

(d) Exemptions. Section 64.1601(a) and (b) shall not apply when: (1) A call originates from a payphone. (2) A local exchange carrier with Signaling System 7 capability does not have the software to provide *67 or *82 functionalities. Such carriers are prohibited from passing CPN.

Here is what the Vonage web site says about per-call block:

"Caller ID Block protects your privacy when making a call.

Caller ID Block

Don't want the person you're calling to know your number? Block it! You can turn on Caller ID Block when you pick up the phone to make the call. So go ahead, call from home. Caller ID Block will protect your privacy, giving you the freedom to call anybody you want.

How to Use Caller ID Block

Turn on Caller ID Block in an instant! Just dial *67 before you dial the number. Caller ID Block turns off automatically when you hang up."

I have attempted for many months (probably over one year) to get Vonage to make the feature work. I even told them it?s required by FCC regulation on inter-state calls. Sigh, they do nothing.

I have filed two informal complaints with the FAA, both of which have been summarily dismissed and cite lack of jurisdiction. In the second complaint I cited 47 CFR 64.1601, which was simply ignored in the dismissal. The FCC refers me to the California PUC, even though my complaint states that the problem occurs on interstate calls.

Anyone here have any thoughts, comments, or ideas?

Reply to
Sam Spade
Loading thread data ...

[FCC regs snipped. thanks for posting them]

FYI, T-Mobile offers a pseudo VOIP "landline" service where they provide you with a SIM _and_ a t-Mobile "branded" internet router. When you hook the router to an internet feed, you can plug a traditional wired phone (or answering machine, etc. [but not fax...]) into the RJ-11 jacks on the back and get, just like with Vonage, etc., what looks and acts like a traditional wireline phone. (Yes, we all know the differnces).

I tried using "*67" when making an outgoing call and it didn't work. I punched the code in and waited, and a second or so later, instead of the "stutter", I got a rapid busy (as in "no good") noise.

I was "this close" to getting super pissed when, for some reason or another, I tried just quickly punching in all the digits (that is, *67-xxx-xxx-nnnn) without pausing after the code. And it worked.

Ain't nothing anywhere in the t-Mobile info about it.

Anyway, just mentioning this for what it's worth.

(disclosure: I'm a user and a shareholder).

Reply to
danny burstein

I don't understand why they can't block caller-ID.

In my humble opinion (IMHO), many of the VOIP providers are able to discount their services because they take shortcuts with the results as you describe.

However, call-block is a dubious feature. My cell phone came with it as the default setting and I found it necessary to have them disable it. Almost everyone I call won't accept blocked calls.

Reply to
hancock4

I don't see that exception in the FCC regulation. ;-)

I seldom have a need to use it, but when I do I expect it to work as the law requires.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Then again, *67 and *82 are mandated by the FCC to be free of all charges.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.