people upset that the E-911 folk want to use... [telecom]

... that they're proposing the US use the _Russian_ "Glonass" GPS system for location finding. Err.....

"GLONASS was chosen because similar US systems don't cover the required territory, Trey Forgety, National Emergency Number Association's director of government affairs, said.

"Besides that, GLONASS is a lot better than GPS in locating mobile phones when the call is made from inside the building."

formatting link

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

***** Moderator's Note *****

Hit-'em-up-for-another-billion department: this looks like a *very* red herring. I wonder who is planning their next yaucht purchase?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

RT is not a very reliable source, to put it mildly.

Some GPS systems also use Glonass. I'm currently testing a new microwave radio that uses GPS and/or Glonass to provide synchronization, allowing better frequency reuse. The dish is just inside, under a window, and it's picking up 8 GPS and one Glonass satellite. Doesn't look a lot better to me...

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.