OT: Electronics store with classic parts [telecom]

[Posted due to the interest in radio of many on this newsgroup.]

from the NYT:

A Williamsburg, Brooklyn electronics shop, one of the oldest in the country, carries hundreds of thousands of analog electronic parts, all manufactured before 1968.

formatting link
formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Actually, there are still vacuum tubes in some telephone equipment today.

Now, let's have some fun: name the "All American Five", and explain why they got that name.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

What, doesn't everyone remember the AA5? It was the most common design of vacuum tube AM radio, especially common for clock radios. It had five vacuum tubes. The main feature was its cheapness, its ability to avoid having a power transformer. The tubes had filament voltages that added up to 117 volts, and were wired in series with each other.

While I remembered this in vague terms, the wackpedia has an article about it, listing several generations of AA5 tube sets. I only remembered the miniature-tube version, which was my bedside clock radio for some years.

-- Fred Goldstein k1io fgoldstein "at" ionary.com ionary Consulting

formatting link
+1 617 795 2701

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

formatting link

formatting link
It does my heart good to know that at least *one* shop like the many I used to frequent along Canal Street still survives, even if it's in Brooklyn now instead :-) ! Thanks, HA 4- .

Can't clearly remember 'em any more (Alzheimer's ?), but ...

.. they were the tube complement in all the classic, el cheapo, AC/DC superheterodyne table top sets of the early-to-mid '50s. Wait: maybe my old RCA Receiving Tube Manual has a schematic? ... (comes back) ... YES:

12BE6, 12BA6, 12AV6, 50C5, 35W4 :-) ! Cf. p. 323 of RC-18, printed 9-57.

'Zat what you were after, Bill? Or were you looking for the post-octal follow-up to these (their miniature 9-pin counterparts)? Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Could you elaborate on what those tubes are and what they're used for? I thought by now even high power applications were converted to solid state.

Thanks.

(Today I passed a former AT&T Long Lines microwave antenna site. I read that it's no longer used for that, but merely a platform for cell phone antennas.)

***** Moderator's Note *****

Well, let's see: Magnetrons are vacuum tubes, right?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
HAncock4

Add an extra 12BA6 and an IF can, and a 6C5 for a BFO. Replace the 50C5 with a 35C5 to make up for the extra filament load. Take some winds off the loopstick to move it up to the shortwave bands. Voila, ham receiver for $10 or so.

Those are the 7-and 9-pin minis. I don't remember the early octal ones, but they weren't quite as standardized.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

(Ulp!) You're right, scott. So much of that RC-18 *is* octal stuff I never bothered checking whether those 5 were or weren't, just assumed they were.

Sorry to have misled so badly! And thanks for steering us all right again.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

12SA7, 12SK7 . . . . . . . ?
Reply to
grumpy44134

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.