Nine facts about SIP [telecom]

I came across this at -

formatting link
Nine Facts about SIP By John

SIP Trunks aren't trunks. There is no physical circuit, just a voice path routed over a carrier's IP network using VoIP technology.

SIP trunks can be used for more than just voice communication. SIP can be used for video, presence, instant messaging and audio over IP broadcasting.

SIP enables a single network for an organization's local, long distance, toll free and data transmission, allows for centralized management of all those services and provides operational efficiency with centralized designs and pooled trunks.

SIP allows for greater competition in the market place because the service bypasses the public switched telephone network owned by the incumbents.

SIP provides a single off net rate for domestic long distanceby eliminating intrastate and interstate distinctions.

SIP creates an issue with 911 because the "trunk" is not static and it could appear that call is originated at a different location than the caller's.

SIP does not eliminate taxes and surcharges like the Universal Service Fund.

SIP allows an organization to purchase only the call paths they require; they aren't forced to purchase trunks in increments of 23 and 24.

SIP provides greater phone number flexibility because area codes and prefixes aren't determined by geographical location.

I'm curious if others agree with "John".

Bill Horne (Filter QRM for direct replies)

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

They can be. To me, a trunk isn't a specific physical medium such as a loop start copper pair or a T1 demuxed from a fiber pair, it's a communications path that permits access to or from multiple endpoints such as a line pool for outgoing calls from multiple of handsets or an ISDN PRI supporting DIDs to those same handsets. If there's a physical characteristic that is common to trunks (as opposed to single lines as we might have at home or even Centrex deployments) it would be that it provisions a switch, not a handset. In that respect, SIP can be a trunk or not a trunk. (The phone just within my reach uses SIP in a non-trunk capacity; none of my clients currently use SIP trunking but it has been available from multiple telcos in this area for some time.)

I'll take their word for it, though telecom is chock full of examples of people figuring out how to get one medium through a path designed for another (usually voice): videophones, FAX machines, VoIP, etc. Of course, if you already have IP transport, then there are umpteen (posisbly better) protocols available to support a wide variety of other communication requirements... and those protocols might be more firewall-friendly than SIP.

Geez, my home POTS service provides local and long distance calling, I'm sure I could get a toll-free number for it, I've used a modem on it, and it's all billed on one invoice. Ooh, and if I had an old-fashioned phone it would light up during a blackout, too.

Most of the rest of these questions center not on SIP but on how [anything] over IP is not necessarily subject to the telcos' traditional limitations and costs. Many authors better than I have written about the implications of the way that the internet moves service differentiation to the edge of the network, as opposed to the traditional method of having a relatively simple device in front of the user and the services implemented in the network switches.

I'd be surprised if I'm the only reader here who has ever purchased fractional T1 voice service. Of course, there are fixed costs associated with the T1 that mean the costs don't scale linearly with the number of voice channels... but the same applies to anything-over-IP, where service good enough for one channel is probably good for a few, but when you approach that limit you need to take a leap up to the next tier of IP transport. Ironically, some of those tiers are derived from the same T1 (and its multiples) that the statement bemoans.

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

Actually, SIP was designed specifically with broader applications in mind; that's why it leaves the media layer to another protocol (RTP). In that it reflects the experience from SAP and from mid-nineties work on the "Integrated Services Internet" and multicast conferencing. Unfortunately, the presence of middleboxes leaves many of those designs undeployable. There are, of course, other protocols available, including most notably MGCP, but SIP seems to have won the day.

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

SIP/RTP is a protocol which concentrates all mistakes that have been made in protocol design in the last 30 years into a single protocol. "30 years of experience, all ignored." This has brought crutches like STUN, makes security harder to do and does not do well with current network design.

Greetings Marc

--

-------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! ----- Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |

formatting link
by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

Reply to
Marc Haber

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.