New Usenet "quoting" style? [Telecom]

each line began with a >, and repeated quotes would have additional > marks.

But now I'm seeing more and more posts with a new style: the original post is there without any delination, followed by a dash line, followed by the new reply. I just saw one such style in this newsgroup.

Is this a new 'approved' standard? Personally, I find it very confusing. I like the > style much better.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...
[bottom-posted reply, un-indented original]

No; there is no 'approved' standard - there are recommended practices and [usually per-newsgroup] conventions. There are also half-donkeyed practices like top-posting and the bottom-posting variant you have noted which are encouraged by the default behaviours of some client software with particularly high market penetration.

Then keep using it until the Usenet Police knock down your door and force you to change.

mlp

***** Moderator's Note *****

The Usenet police are busy shutting down Google access to Falun Gong and pro-Tibet sites, so I think their scheduled crackdown on quoting standards will be postponed indefinitely.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Mark L Pappin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.