movie "War Games", misc comments [telecom]

The movie, "War Games" was on TCM the other night. I saw the tail end of it; here are some comments:

I think most people are familiar with the overall computer plot of film and I won't get into that here. It was pretty ridiculous with the Tic Tac Toe program.

The movie was made in 1982. In one scene, a young Matthew Broderick, needs to make a phone call. He gets dropped off at a phone booth* (traditional metal frame, with a red panel and sign), that has a three slot phone. By 1982, most 3-slots were gone. Anyway, Broderick has no change but manages to short out the phone by connecting a transmitter lead to the keyhole. (Don't know if that really works). He first called long distance Information which was still free back then. Then he made a long distance call to his girlfriend, I don't know how he paid for that. Also, by 1982 most phones were dial tone first; he wouldn't have had to bother shorting it out.

In one scene, the heavy blast doors of NORAD are closing. People are running around all over the place. Many people were outside the doors and apparently not headed inside. I would think in a facility like that, everyone would want to be on the inside for protection.

They power up generators and instantly reported they were working. In real life it takes time to start and bring generators (even diesels) up to speed and connect them into the system. They really drew out the drama of those scenes. Seemed very hokey.

All computers were 'green-on-glass' type only, no graphics, no mice. Several computer companies were listed in the credits, but I don't think any of them are around any more.

When the central computer is overloaded it and terminals explode and the lights go out. That doesn't happen in real life.

The movie had Barry Corbin as a crusty general. Corbin is better known for playing the retired astronaut, Maurice, on Northern Exposure, as well as other crusty military characters.

It also had Dabney Coleman. Ironically, in a later movie he played the President dealing with an errant teenage daughter; couldn't get away from those pesky teens.

Ally Sheedy was also in it. Unlike Broderick, her career didn't move as fast after she became an adult.

The central computer was housed in a dark green box with rounded edges, looking like a 1940s IBM tab machine, not something modern. Technicans roamed it writing down stuff on clipboards, but there was nothing readable on display to write down, just lots of fast blinking lots.

• I discovered a real Verizon public phone booth on the highway. I want to take a picture of it. However, it's on the property of a sleazy motel and not sure a camera would be appreciated in such a place.
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Payphones were ground-start trunks, shorting almost any of the floating components to ground would draw dial tone.

Buried alive in a government installation comes to mind.

I think it was a User Friendly cartoon strip

formatting link
*invented* "Hollywood font" with 3 inch tall black letters on a green background.

True...but a 120# Rotweiller left alone in the office can do some pretty interesting stuff. Likewise a deer hoof thru my laptop's screen mounted in my truck. Likewise a buffalo humping my Geo. Or chewing the rear tire off my pickup.

Reply to
DTC

Snipped content

Generators be they diesel or natural gas spool up within 10 seconds. At my prior place of employment we had a 125kW natural gas fired generator that we did regular tests on and even experienced a few power outages with it. On the inside was an APC Symmetra rated to run for 15 minutes, in actuality with 55 servers it ran for 45 minutes.

There's still a lot of green-on-glass out there. A LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) box doesn't need a GUI.

Holywood loves to exagerate things.

Like this one? Apparently Vz doesn't care what happens to phone booths. This one was outside the former Police and Fire HQ in Providence, RI.

formatting link

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.