Leaked Report: ISP Secretly Added Spy Code To Web Sessions, Crashing Browsers

Leaked Report: ISP Secretly Added Spy Code To Web Sessions, Crashing Browsers

By Ryan Singel June 05, 2008 | 5:43:36 PmCategories: Network Neutrality

An internal British Telecom report on a secret trial of an ISP eavesdropping and advertising technology found that the system crashed some unsuspecting users' browsers, and a small percentage of the 18,000 broadband customers under surveillance believed they'd been infected with adware.

The January 2007 report (.pdf) -- published Thursday by the whistle blowing site Wikileaks -- demonstrates the hazards broadband customers face when an ISP tampers with raw internet traffic for its own profit. The leak comes just weeks after U.S. broadband provider Charter Communications told users it would be testing a technology similar to what's described in the BT document.

The report documents BT's partnership with U.K. ad company Phorm, which specializes in building profiles of ISP customers, then serving targeted ads on webpages the user visits.

From late September to early October 2006, British Telecom secretly

partnered with Phorm to let the company monitor and track 18,000 of the BT's customers. Phorm installed boxes on BT's network that redirected web requests through their proxy server.

Those boxes inserted JavaScript code into every web page downloaded by the users. That script then reported back to Phorm the contents of the web page, which Phorm used to create ad profiles of a user. Additionally, Phorm purchased advertising space on prominent web sites, showing a default ad for a charity. But when a user who had previously looked at car sites visited one of those pages, he instead got an advertisement for car insurance.

The users were not informed they were being made guinea pigs for a new revenue system for BT and had no way to opt out of the system, according to the report. The JavaScript caused flickering problems for some users as the script reported back information about the content of the web page to a Phorm server. The script also crashed browsers that loaded a website that relied excessively on anchor tags. Additionally, the rogue JavaScript showed up unexpectedly in user's posts to some web forums.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

That is VERY interesting! Didn't someone already get in trouble for adware that replaced ads on web pages with their own? Wouldn't modification of a web page an ANY way (including the insertion of javascript) be a copyright violation?

One thing here in the US that I've never understood is that the FCC considers ISPs to be "information services" instead of "communications services." I want my ISP to be a communications service that just connects me to the desired IP addresses and moves bits. It should not modify the content in ANY way. It may offer DNS and mail services, but even that is not necessary (especially mail, since there are so many alternatives now).

Is there anything I can do on my webserver to detect ad replacement techniques like this?

I wonder if BT has inserted javascript in any of my web pages. Maybe I could sue them for copyright infringement...

Harold

Reply to
harold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.