LAST CALL for comments! Telecom Digest Survey [telecom]

The submission period for responses to this survey is about to end.

If you have not responded yet, you are strongly encouraged to do so.

If you read this as a newsgroup -- 'comp.dcom.telecom' -- PLEASE, even you do not chose to answer any of the questions in the survey, send a _minimal_ response to this message so that I can give the moderator some idea of how many people actually read the newsgroup. At this point, responses from newsgroup readers are a single-digit number. I *hope* (and believe) there are many more of you out there than have been heard from, _so_far_. That said, 'blind faith' has no place in statistics, If you're out there, and find the content of the newsgroup useful, please 'stand up and be counted'. You don't have to answer any of the questions, but let let me know you -do- exist.

A repeat of the original survey announcement is included below for your conveience.

A note from the Moderator:

To the Telecom Digest readers: > > In an effort to improve both the quality of The Telecom Digest and the > skill of its moderator, you are invited to take part in a survey. The > survey results will be used to help guide the Moderator's choices when > he decides what posts are appropriate, and to give him a better idea of > the interests, likes, dislikes, and tastes of the Digest audience. > > The introduction to the survey is somewhat lengthy, but please bear with > it -- you are entitled to know how your responses will be handled, and that > the confidentiality of your identity will be respected. Please keep > these points in mind when filling out the survey, and let me thank you in > advance for your time. > > ---- > Bill Horne > Telecom Digest Moderator >

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Telecom Digest Reader Survey January 2012

INTRODUCTION ------------

1. If you choose to respond to this survey, you need only reply to this message: The Reply-To address (" snipped-for-privacy@survey.dyndns-mail.org") goes to a neutral third party who will analyze the results, summarize comments, and report back to the Moderator after removing all traces of identifying information from your answers.
  2. If anyone wants an acknowledgment of receipt, they need to add the tag [AUTOACK] to the Subject line. And, that if they do that, they -must- use a "From:" line that is un-obfuscated -- the ack is machine generated, and does -not- have the smarts to make any alterations.
  3. The survey analyst requests un-munged addresses, so that he can contact people for clarifications/expansions if appropriate.

The survey analyst also requests: "Please don't send any attachments or HTML-based email if you can avoid it."

1. I'm an adult: please be candid, forthright, and honest. I don't have ESP, and I can't guess at your true meaning if you beat around the bush.

All the usual rules about netiquette are waived: if you think the Moderator is a horse's behind, say so. If you think he is Jesus Christ incarnate (Aw, shucks ...), then say /that/, too.

1. You opinions _are_ important to me. Please provide a response for all the questions, even if it is 'choose not to answer', or similar. That way the analyst will know you didn't inadvertently skip it.
  2. All responses will have all author identification stripped off before summarization, and before any comments are passed to the moderator.
    1. The analyst will not retain any responding email addresses past the
    end of the survey period, and the addresses will not be published anywhere.
  3. Your comments may be paraphrased if they are published, but they will never be associated with you personally, since the Moderator won't know who wrote them.
  4. If one of the provided multiple-choice responses is a "close fit" to your feelings, please use it. However, if none of the alternatives fits, feel free to provide an 'alternate' response.
  5. In addition to making comments on any particular question, you are expressly invited to voice your opinions (here's your chance!) about the Moderator's performance, the direction the Telecom Digest should take, the kinds of posts you would like to see more of or less of, and _anything_else_ you feel will be helpful. The Moderator will read /all/ of your comments, and he might publish some of them, so please be careful not to leave any identifying information in them.
  6. The survey will end on January 7, 2012. The email address will be disabled at midnight, January 8.

THE SURVEY ----------

[ Before answering the first question, please flip a coin and note the ] [ result. If the coin came up "heads", please answer question 1a. If the ] [ coin came up "tails", please answer question 1b. Do not answer both ] [ questions, and /please/ do not pick one to answer by yourself: let the ] [ coin toss tell you which to answer. ]

Q.1a What is your age?

A. under 21 B. between 21 and 30 C. between 30 and 40 D. between 40 and 50 E. 50+

Q.1b The Telecom Digest is ...

A. The only mailing list or Usenet group I read regularly B. One of 2-3 mailing lists or Usenet groups that I read regularly C. One of 4-8 mailing lists or Usenet groups that I read regularly D. One of 9+ mailing lists or Usenet groups that I read regularly D. I only read the Digest now and then

Q.2 What do you think of the level of technical detail in The Telecom Digest?

A. Not technical enough B. Too technical C. "just right", as Goldilocks might say.

Q.3 What do you think of the Moderator's performance in the past year?

A. He could do a better job B. He has done a good job C. He is too concerned with trivia like this

Q.4 What do you think about Telecom Digest coverage on the telecom regulatory environment?

A. I'd like to see more on this subject B. There's already too much on this subject C. The current coverage is about right

Q.5 What do you think about Telecom Digest coverage on the technology of telecommunications?

A. I'd like to see more on this subject B. There's already too much on this subject C. The current coverage is about right

Q.6 What do you think about Telecom Digest coverage on new telecom concepts "VoIP", for example)?

A. I'd like to see more on these subjects B. There's already too much on these subjects C. The current coverage is about right

Q.7 What other subjects would you like to see more Telecom Digest coverage of?

A. I can't think of any. B. I'd like to see MORE on these (one or more) subjects:

Q.8 What other subjects do you think there is too much Telecom Digest coverage of?

A. I can't think of any. B. I'd like to see LESS on these (one or more) subjects:

Q.9 Should the Moderator be more ... (check all that apply)

A. Humble. B. Plain-spoken. C. Willing to correct mistakes. D. Tolerant of other's views E. Willing to work with posters to make their posts clear and readable F. Interested in /what/ a post is saying, instead of /how/ it says it G. Other please specify :

Q.10 How would you rate the Moderator's performance?

A. Terrible B. Poor C. In need of improvement D. Adequate E. Above Average F. Excellent

Q.11 Do you see the Moderator exhibiting bias regarding any group, religion, political philosophy, or ethnicity? (if you answer in the affirmative, please describe, or provide examples, if you can)

A. No B. Sometimes C. Yes D. Hell, yes

Q.12 If you had to pick one thing you could change about the Telecom Digest, would it be to?

A. Cut down on the number of posts and be more selective B. Welcome more input and not be quite as choosy about what is published C. Demand more citations and supporting material from contributors, so that they can't just make things up. D. Leave things alone -- the Telecom Digest is fine, it is. E. Change something else, to wit (list one item only, please):

Q.13 Do you own a cellular telephone?

A. Yes B. No (please skip to Q.18)

Q.14 If you answered 'Yes', is it your only phone?

A. Yes (please skip to Q.16) B. No

Q.15 What other kind(s) of phone service do you have? (please check all that apply)

A. 'traditional' land-line service B. 'digital' phone service (e.g. ISDN) from a traditional phone company. C. service from an 'alternative' carrier, such as a Cable TV company D. VoIP phone service E: Other please specify:

Q.16 If you use a cellular telephone, is it ...

A. A prepaid phone -- like 'Net10', 'Virgin Mobile", "Go Phone", etc. -- where the phone "stops working" if the money runs out. B. A monthly or yearly plan where you're billed 'after the fact' for any 'excess usage'. C. Paid for by my employer

Q.17 If you use a cellular telephone, do you have it turned off?

A. Most of the time. e.g. you turn it on only for _your_ convenience B. Only when you are at home (i.e. near your 'land line', if you have one) C. Only when you are asked to -- meetings, hospitals, etc. D. Practically never.

Q.18 Do you think the traditional "wireline" telephone industry will ...

A. Be gone in twenty years B. Remain "as is" for the foreseeable future C. Change into a hybrid that keeps old phones but uses new technologies such as VoIP D. Merge with the cellular network, so everyone has to have a cell phone

Q.19 If you ran the Telecom Digest, would you? (please check all that apply)

A. Take weekends off B. Be less anal about spelling and punctuation C. Try to promote new ideas D. Other please specify:

Q.20 What do you think the highest priority for telecom providers, in terms of maintaining 'customer satisfaction', _should_ be?

A. providing the lowest possible prices B. providing the best quality service C. providing the fastest Internet speeds D. ensuring that your phone is always working

Q.21 Telecom operations, regulation, and deployment, are different in different countries -- what country's telecom environment are you primarily affected by?

Q.22 What operating system does the computer you use to read the Telecom Digest use?

A. MS-Windows B. MacOS C. Something UNIX-like D. Other

Please specify the O/S version/release:

Q.23 How do you read the Telecom Digest?

A. by email, as individual messages, B. by email, in digest form, C. on USENET, using a web-based interface, like "Google Groups", i. what is the URL of the web-site you use the most often? ii. what is the web-browser do you use the most often? D. on USENET, using an actual 'newsreader' program. i. what news-server do you use the most often? ii. what newsreader software do you use the most often?

Q.24 How often do you submit posts to The Telecom Digest?

A. I've never submitted a post B. About once a month C. More than once a month

Q.25 What is your main occupational focus?

A. Member of technical staff B. Technical manager C. Non-technical manager D. Telecom consultant E. Student F. Teacher/instructor/professor if so, what do you teach: G. Other please specify:

Q.26 Regarding the focus, above, are you currently?

A. Actively employed in that area B. Retired, but did work in that area C. Seeking work in that area D. Other please specify:

Q.27 What is your highest level of education?

A. not a H.S. graduate (or equivalent) B. H.S. Graduate. (or equivalent) C. Some college, but no degree D. Associate (or other 2-year) degree E. College degree (4-year, undergraduate) F. Advanced College degree (5 or more years, e.g., Masters or Doctorate) G. Post Doctorate course work

Q.28 How long have you been reading The Telecom Digest?

A. Less than 1 year B. 1-5 years C. 5-10 years D. 10+ years

Q.29 What is your annual gross income (i.e. before taxes)? (Please count only your income, not your spouse's or other family members)

A. Under $40,000 B. $40,001 - 60,000 C. $60,001 - 80,000 D. $80,001+

Q.30 Please add any additional comments you'd like to make, here:

Your survey submision was received, _without_ any answers, as shown below:

The Telecom Digest Reader Survey

January 2012

INTRODUCTION

+--------------------------------------------------------------+

1. If you choose to respond to this survey, you need only reply to

this message: The Reply-To address (" snipped-for-privacy@survey.dyndns-mail.com")

goes to a neutral third party who will analyze the results, summarize

comments, and report back to the Moderator after removing all traces

of identifying information from your answers.

1. If you want an acknowledgment of receipt, add the tag [AUTOACK]

to the Subject line of your survey response email. If they do

that, you _must_ use a "From:" line that is un-obfuscated -- the

ack is machine generated, and does _not_ have the smarts to make

any alterations.

1. The survey analyst requests un-munged addresses, so that he can

contact people for clarifications/expansions, if appropriate.

The survey analyst also requests: "Please don't send any attachments

or HTML-based email if you can avoid it."

1. I'm an adult: please be candid, forthright, and honest. I don't

have ESP, and I can't guess at your true meaning if you beat

around the bush.

All the usual rules about netiquette are waived: if you

think the Moderator is a horse's behind, say so. If you

think he is Jesus Christ incarnate (Aw, shucks ...), then

say /that/, too. The survey analyst is aware of this and

prepared to deal with whatever comes down the pike.

1. You opinions _are_ important to me. Please provide a response for

all the questions, even if it is 'choose not to answer', or similar.

That way the analyst will know you didn't inadvertently skip it.

1. All responses will have all author identification stripped off

before summarization, and before any comments are passed to the

moderator.

1. The analyst will not retain any responding email addresses past the

end of the survey period, and the addresses will not be published

anywhere.

1. Your comments may be paraphrased if they are published, but they will

never be associated with you personally, since the Moderator won't know

who wrote them.

1. If one of the provided multiple-choice responses is a "close

fit" to your feelings, please use it. However, if none of

the alternatives fits, feel free to provide an 'alternate'

response.

1. In addition to making comments on any particular question, you

are expressly invited to voice your opinions (here's your

chance!) about the Moderator's performance, the direction the

Telecom Digest should take, the kinds of posts you would like to

see more of or less of, and _anything_ _else_ you feel will be

helpful. The Moderator will read /all/ of your comments, and he

might publish some of them, so please be careful not to leave

any identifying information in them.

1. The survey will end on January 10, 2012. The email address

will be disabled at midnight, January 11.

THE SURVEY

+--------------------------------------------------------------+

[ Before answering the first question, please flip a coin and note the ]

[ result. If the coin came up "heads", please answer question 1a. If the ] [ coin came up "tails", please answer question 1b. Do not answer both ] [ questions, and /please/ do not pick one to answer by yourself: let the ] [ coin toss tell you which to answer. ]

Q.1a What is your age?

A. under 21

B. between 21 and 30

C. between 30 and 40

D. between 40 and 50

E. 50+

Q.1b Is the Telecom Digest ...

A. The only mailing list or Usenet group you read regularly

B. One of 2-3 mailing lists or Usenet groups that you read regularly

C. One of 4-8 mailing lists or Usenet groups that you read regularly

D. One of 9+ mailing lists or Usenet groups that you read regularly

D. You only read the Digest now and then

Q.2 What do you think of the level of technical detail in The Telecom Digest?

A. Not technical enough

B. Too technical

C. "just right", as Goldilocks might say.

Q.3 What do you think of the Moderator's performance in the past year?

A. He could do a better job

B. He has done a good job

C. He is too concerned with trivia like this

Q.4 What do you think about Telecom Digest coverage on the telecom

regulatory environment?

A. There's not enough coverage on this subject

B. There's already too much on this subject

C. The current coverage is about right

Q.5 What do you think about Telecom Digest coverage on the technology of

telecommunications?

B. There's already too much on this subject

Q.6 What do you think about Telecom Digest coverage on new telecom

concepts ("VoIP", for example)?

B. There's already too much on these subjects

Q.7 What other subjects would you like to see more Telecom Digest

coverage of?

A. You can't think of any

B. You'd like to see MORE on these subjects (please specify, one or more) Fiber optic backbones, VoIP systems, satellite systems

Q.8 What other subjects do you think there is too much Telecom Digest

coverage of?

A. You can't think of any.

B. You'd like to see LESS on these subjects (please specify, one or more)

Q.9 Do you think the Moderator should be more of the following?

(please list all that apply)

A. Humble

B. Plain-spoken

C. Willing to correct mistakes

D. Tolerant of other's views

E. Willing to work with posters to make their posts clear and readable

F. Interested in /what/ a post is saying, instead of /how/ it says it

G. Other (please specify)

Q.10 How would you rate the Moderator's performance?

A. Terrible

B. Poor

C. In need of improvement

D. Adequate

E. Above Average

F. Excellent

Q.11 Do you see the Moderator exhibiting bias regarding any group, religion,

political philosophy, or ethnicity? (if you answer in the affirmative,

please describe, or provide examples, if you can)

A. No

B. Sometimes

C. Yes

D. Hell, yes

Q.12 If you had to pick one thing you could change about the Telecom

Digest, would you?

A. Cut down on the number of posts and be more selective

B. Welcome more input and not be quite as choosy about what is published

C. Demand more citations and supporting material from contributors,

so that they can't just make things up

D. Leave things alone -- the Telecom Digest is fine, as is

E. Change something else (please specify, and list just one item)

Q.13 Do you own a cellular telephone?

A. Yes

B. No (please skip to Q.18)

Q.14 If you answered 'Yes', is it your only phone?

A. Yes (please skip to Q.16)

B. No

Q.15 What other kind(s) of phone service do you have?

A. 'Traditional' land-line service

B. 'Digital' phone service (e.g. ISDN) from a traditional phone company

C. Service from an 'alternative' carrier, such as a Cable TV company

D. VoIP phone service

E: Other (please specify)

Q.16 If you use a cellular telephone, is it ...

A. A prepaid phone -- like 'Net10', 'Virgin Mobile", "Go Phone",

etc. -- where the phone "stops working" if the money runs out

B. A monthly or yearly plan where you're billed 'after the fact'

for any 'excess usage'

C. Paid for by my employer

Q.17 If you use a cellular telephone, how often do you have it turned off?

A. Most of the time. e.g. you turn it on only for _your_ convenience

B. Only when you are at home (i.e. near your 'land line', if you have one)

C. Only when you are asked to -- meetings, hospitals, etc.

D. Practically never.

Q.18 What do you think the future holds for the traditional "wireline"

telephone industry?

A. It will be gone in twenty years

B. It will remain "as is" for the foreseeable future

C. It will change into a hybrid that keeps old phones but uses new

technologies such as VoIP

D. It will merge with the cellular network, so everyone has to have a

cell phone

Q.19 If you ran the Telecom Digest, would you?

A. Take weekends off

B. Be less anal about spelling and punctuation

C. Try to promote new ideas

D. Other (please specify)

Q.20 What do you think the highest priority for telecom providers, in terms

of maintaining 'customer satisfaction', _should_ be?

A. Providing the lowest possible prices

B. Providing the best quality service

C. Providing the fastest Internet speeds

D. Ensuring that your phone is always working

Q.21 Telecom operations, regulation, and deployment, are different in

different countries -- what country's telecom environment are you

primarily affected by?USA

Q.22 What operating system does the computer you use to read the Telecom

Digest use?

A. MS-Windows

B. MacOS

C. Something UNIX-like (Sys V, HP-UX, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.)

D. Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, SuSe, RedHat, CentOS, etc.)

E. Other

Please specify your O/S version/release:

Q.23 How do you read the Telecom Digest?

A. By email, as individual messages

B. By email, in digest form

C. On USENET, using a web-based interface, like "Google Groups"

i. What is the URL of the web-site you use the most often?

ii. What web-browser do you use the most often?

(e.g., FireFox, Opera, Safari, Internet Eplorer, etc.)

D. On USENET, using an actual 'newsreader' program

i. What news-server do you use the most often?

(e.g., news.eternal-september.org)

ii. What newsreader software do you use the most often?

(e.g., pine, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Thoth, etc.)

Q.24 How often do you submit posts to The Telecom Digest?

A. Never submitted a post

B. About once a month

C. More than once a month

Q.25 What is your main occupational focus?

A. Member of technical staff

B. Technical manager

C. Non-technical manager

D. Telecom consultant

E. Student

F. Teacher/instructor/professor (if so, what do you teach?)

G. Other (please specify)

Q.26 Regarding the focus, above, are you currently?

A. Actively employed in that area

B. Retired, but did work in that area

C. Seeking work in that area

D. Other (please specify)

Q.27 What is your highest level of education?

A. Not a H.S. graduate (or equivalent)

B. H.S. Graduate. (or equivalent)

C. Some college, but no degree

D. Associate (or other 2-year) degree

E. College degree (4-year, undergraduate)

F. Advanced College degree (5 or more years, e.g., Masters or Doctorate)

G. Post Doctorate course work

Q.28 How long have you been reading The Telecom Digest?

A. Less than 1 year

B. 1-5 years

C. 5-10 years

D. 10+ years

Q.29 What is your annual gross income (i.e. before taxes)?

(Please count only your income, not your spouse's or other family members)

A. Under $40,000

B. $40,001 - 60,000

C. $60,001 - 80,000

D. $80,001+

Q.30 Please add any additional comments you'd like to make here

Reply to
"Survey Analyst" survey
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.