It's that time again in North America [telecom]

Here in North America we will leave standard time and will adjust our time one hour ahead for daylight saving (no S) time at 02:00 Sunday 7 March 2010.

There still are a few telephone numbers where you can get the time of day (and sometimes local temperature and even a short weather forecast.) The numbers I have are the following:

Appleton, WI 920 734-0123 Baltimore MD 410 844-1234 Boston MA 617 637-1234 (also 617 NERVOUS) Chattanooga TN 423 265-1411 Washington DC 202 844-1234 Houston TX 713 755-7171 (installed by Harris County gov) OKC OK 405 599-1234 Orlando FL 407 646-3131 Portland ME 207 775-4321 US Naval Observatory 202 762-1401* WWV CO 303 499-7111* WWVH HI 808 335-4363*

*Very accurate

You can also go to

formatting link
or
formatting link
or
formatting link
for accurate time.

Reply to
Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

Ummm..... the US and Canada (where Daylight Saving (no 's') Time is observed) will "spring-forward" the FOLLOWING weekend, Sunday 14 March 2010, NOT this weekend.

I would have thought it was the first Sunday in March (according to the new/revised schedule a few years ago), but I double-checked several sources, and NO it is NOT the first Sunday in March, but rather it is the SECOND Sunday in March when the US/Canada springs-forward into Daylight Saving (no 's') Time.

We do FALL-BACK to Standard Time on the FIRST Sunday in November though, according to the current schedule adopted a few years ago. It's now AFTER Halloween. It used to be the Sunday BEFORE (or ON) Halloween in most places in the US and Canada which observed Daylight time, so depending on the latitude and where east/west one was in their time-zone, it was already dark at 6pm when the kids would just start "trick-or-treating".

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA pre-Katrina

***** Moderator's Note *****

I have an alarm clock - a Scott model SCR120 - which sets its time automagically with a built-in WWVB receiver, and adjusts for Daylight Saving Time automatically as well.

But, it's hard-wired to switch to Daylight Saving Time on the _OLD_ schedule, not the new one, and it drives me nuts twice a year, because I must manually switch it to another time zone to change it to EDT on the _new_ start date, and then I must switch back to the "correct" time zone on the _old_ start date. It's the same process in reverse come the fall.

I know I can buy a new one, but I'm a cheap Yankee, so I'll ask if anyone knows how to reset this clock to the _new_ DST switchover dates, or, failing that, how to disable automatic DST changes entirely.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Mark J. Cuccia

Here's another local time/temp item for your collection:

New Haven CT 203 776-2210 (aka 203 SPRINGS)

Cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

Because of a WEBFAK(*), On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:57:10 -0500, tlvp wrote, in part:

Please add the number originally given to "la poubelle": it was that of an innocent, random, residential line.

Please ignore it, and use instead the *true* 203 SPRINGS time/temp number, 203 777-4647. Thank you.

Cheers, -- tlvp [(*)WEBFAK: Wetware Error Between Fingers And Keyboard]

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

Duluth MN (since the 1960s at least): 218-727-9000

Reply to
Michael Grigoni

There's another list of active (and no longer active) time and temperature numbers (and recordings of these systems) at

formatting link
And another list is at:

formatting link

Reply to
Diamond Dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.