It ain't just phones in cars these days [Telecom]

From

formatting link
In-car gadgets distracting drivers: police

December 30, 2008 - 9:28AM

Hi-tech gadgets are distracting drivers and causing accidents, authorities in Queensland say.

In-car DVDs, GPS navigators and iPods have joined mobile phones as modern conveniences which could take drivers' attention off the road, with fatal results.

"More than 26,000 motorists in Queensland were fined for using hand-held mobile phones while behind the wheel in the past 12 months - but mobile phones are no longer the only devices distracting drivers," said Transport Minister John Mickel.

"Mobile phones and MP3 players should either be placed in a cradle or stored to ensure they don't slide around the vehicle's interior, while GPS navigators also need to be placed in a position that does not obscure the driver's view of the road," Mr Mickel said.

Research shows that using a mobile phone while driving means a person is four times more likely to crash.

Mr Mickel said good trip planning and preparation should include setting playlists and GPS travel routes before starting out, and the use of voicemail to collect phone messages during breaks.

AAP

Reply to
David Clayton
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

On a recent trip I had the GPS unit stuck just under the rear view mirror. Worked well enough. Besides, it talks so in reality you rarely have to look at it.

Even when I'd not understood Keep left, keep right, keep left it got me back on track every time.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.