How to block a known number or last call received [Telecom]

Once upon a time I seem to recall a vertical service code (i.e. "star" code) that would allow a telephone subscriber to block the number of the last caller. I cannot find reference to this anywhere.

What's going on is I'm receiving nuisance calls several times a day from a number in Florida. I have complained to my state's PUC, but my experience has been not much really happens, so I'd like just to block this number. I have contacted my telephone provider, but haven't heard back.

While we're on the topic, is there such a creature as a telephone that won't ring if a call from a certain number comes across?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

Qwest calls it "Call Rejection", and it is an extra-cost service (like CID). *60 on, *80 off, for up to 15 numbers.

Though it looks like for out-of-area calls you need "Call Rejection-Enhanced". *78 toggles, for up to 25 numbers.

Your telco might call it something else.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Yes. It's not uncommon to have a cell phone that can use Caller-ID and your phone book to provide distinctive ring tones based on who's calling. (e.g. family gets one ringtone, work gets another, etc.) My Motorola RAZR V3 has this feature. The feature appears to be built into the phone, not the network.

Phones generally have larger memories than the feature of blocking numbers at the network.

One of those ring tones can be "Silent" (not to be confused with "Vibrate", which isn't really silent). You still get dinged for minutes, but you won't be bothered.

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

Could you elaborate more about this device, e.g. where it is purchased, mfr, etc.? Sounds like a useful thing to have.

Is it easy to change the list? There may be times I temporarily don't want to be disturbed from a specific number, but other times I will take such calls.

Also, does the device have a converse function, that is, if an incoming call IS on a list of numbers it will come through, otherwise all non listed calls will be diverted? This will be useful in certain situations.

Thanks.

***** Moderator's Note *****

It's made by Solutions Marketing, Inc. Their website is

formatting link

I'm not sure if it's "flippable" from "deny" to "allow" modes, since it's intended to switch calls between phone and answering machine, but the website has a lot of info.

Bill

P.S. I'm not involved with the company, and I have no pecuniary interenst in their products.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.