History Early Data transmission technical considerations [telecom]

An article in the November 1957 discusses the technical issues in the speed and accuracy of data transmission over private lines. It recognizes that the telephone network was built for voice, not data. Various modulating and carrier modes are considered such as "AM double sideband" and "frequency shift transmission". 1600 bits per second was deemed a good speed at that time. (and the term "bit" was used then.) Line noise, delay distortion, and required terminal equipment were critical issues that needed to be addressed. The article gets quite technical.

formatting link

Reply to
Lisa or Jeff
Loading thread data ...

The term "bit" still describes the speed of the raw "data transmission over private lines". Things like characters, words, bytes, packets, frames, etc are formed at higher levels of the 7 layer OSI stack by the DTE equipment attached to the data circuit.

see

formatting link

--Reed

Reply to
Reed

Sometimes "yes", sometimes "no".

Consider analog line signalling where one 'symbol' represents multiple 'bits' in the original data stream.

Thus the 'classical' distinction between 'bits' and 'baud' in more commplex analog data links.

For an extreme case, consider the Telebit Corp "PEP" protocol, used in their 'trailblazer' (and compatible) modems.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, yes, various methods have been used to increase the usable bit rate of an otherwise band-limited channel. QAM, Trellis coding, etc. However I think the the usable "speed" of the channel would still be expressed in bits per second.

Also I took "L or J's" comment as aimed at bytes, etc. Perhaps they meant baud, since that always has been a common point of mis-understanding when speaking of modem speeds.

Thanks for the reminder, Reed

Reply to
Reed

formatting link
The word "bit" actually comes from Nyquist back in the twenties, but the actual relationship between channel capacity in bps, bandwidth, and noise, was worked out by Shannon in 1948.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Actually, I believe that Lisa and/or Jeff were pointing out that 1957 was a very _early_ use of the term "bit." This is in fact quite interesting: Many people today do not realize that transmission of binary information over electrical circuits has been going on for a good

170 years or so, but the term "bit" was not commonly used until about fifty years ago.

The 1953 edition on "Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work" [aka the AT&T Big Green Book] does not use the word "bit" anywhere in its 350+ pages, except to refer to "bits of paper" and "bits of iron." However, they use the following terms extensively:

Make or Break

Mark and Space

Dot and Dash

I will leave it to others to expand this thread further. When I get started about technology and semantics there is significant risk of a

5,000 word diatribe flowing from my keyboard...

Jim

************************************************** Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Reply to
Jim Bennett

I suppose so, *IF* you forget about Nyquist in the 1920s, Shannon in the

1940s, and everybody else in between.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Nyquist was a "mark and space" man. He also used the term "signal element" a lot.

The earliest known use of "bit" in a published paper was by Shannon in

1948, but he didn't coin the term. That honor goes to J.W. Tukey [a Massachusetts boy], who proposed that "bit" was an acceptable [and clever] contraction of the term "binary digit."

It would be a good decade before the term was in common usage, with the BSTJ paper cited by Lisa and Jeff being an excellent example.

Jim Bennett

****************************************************** Checking my facts in a secure undisclosed location.
Reply to
Jim Bennett

Was he also the one...binary digits are associated with logs to the base 2, and someone suggested 'nit' for a digit resulting from logs to the base e, and perhaps 'dit' for decimal digits?

***** Moderator's Note *****

Dit-dah-dit-dah-dit, dah-dit-dah

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Jim Haynes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.