Help! Verizon/Fairpoint - Calling party control "never heard of it!" [Telecom]

Hello!

I'm trying to configure a SPA-3102 and it's holding the PSTN port for a loooong time after the far end has hung up. The device is looking for a calling party control signal (removing talk battery for 250-500 ms) but my switch is not sending this signal!

I've checked with a meter, and yes, I am in fact *not* getting a CPC signal when the far end hangs up. I've called Fairpoint (formerly Verizon) and am getting the "ping-pong" treatment - the repair department says I need to talk to customer service, and the customer service department says I need to talk to repair!

Is there anyone who knows what the "magic words" are to get Verizon/ Fairpoint to enable CPC on my line? I've seen it referred to as "disconnect supervision", "open loop disconnect" and other such terms. If anyone knows how to enable it on a DMS-10 switch, the friendly manager I have been talking to can forward that on to the right people!

Thanks!

-Rick (rickthegeek (at) gmail (dot) com)

Reply to
hemiguy1977
Loading thread data ...

It switching terms it is known as "open battery interval." I have been down this road many years ago with GTE. It is not a tariffed item, thus they are not under any obligation to provide it.

If you are on a normal (untreated) copper pair to the switch it should be present. But, if you are on some type of treated or pair gain path, it very well may not be passed through from the switch to your end.

Telco folks are trained not to get into this stuff with the customer.

Reply to
Sam Spade

"hemiguy1977" wrote

Who makes the SPA-3102? Northern Telecom makes the DMS-10. There probably is an easy fix for your difficulty.....if the SPA-3102 is in common use around the country. YOU need to contact the FACTORY engineers for the SPA and Verizon needs to contact Northern Telecom. One or the other of them likely has the answer. Unless you find someone else with a 3102 connected to a DMS-10, you will likely NEVER get an answer from anybody but the factory folks.

Good luck.

PS What DO you see for supervision when the far end hangs up? The DMS is likely sending a "standard" disconnect signal (battery reversal ??) and "the device" is supposed to respond by doing something. Something that needs to match......doesn't. But you knew that already !!! ;-)

***** Moderator's Note *****

IIRC, the "standard" Called Party Disconnect signal is the absense of battery, since that's what's needed to remove "hold" conditions at the calling party key equipment.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
Who Me?

Ma Bell outsmarted herself on that one with the advent of the No 1ESS and three-way porting features, such as three-way calling or call waiting. With either feature battery was briefly dropped as the porting changed from two to three.

This was harmless enough with the three-way calling feature but not so with call waiting. If someone with a key system had a line with call waiting and that line was on hold, the hold would drop if a call waiting came in on the line.

The solution was to modified the KTU line card for any customer that complained. Then, of course, that customer's key system would not drop a call on hold if the other party disconnected. Well, at least not on any line with the modified line card.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Absolutely true........IF the SPA-3102 is considered "line" equipment. If it is considered "trunk" equipment, then the requirements are (probably) different.

The DMS-10 is a "small" switch. It may not have all the features of a large metro or tandem switch, ala DMS-100/200. Some of the features it DOES have may not be documented well......or at all. Thus the recommendation to push the problem back to the "factory" for one end or the other........or both. Sometimes they have to talk to each other without a middle man (or should that be middle person?).

Reply to
Who Me?

Also, the DMS-10 is often deployed in rural areas where a lot of the subscribers are served by treated pairs or pair gain distribution. A lot of that stuff ignores open battery from the switch.

Reply to
Sam Spade

The 400D and later cards had options for disconnect time. The drop for Call-Waiting is far shorter than that for a disconnect; I seem to recall a 10-1 ratio. So the card could NOT disconnect on CW/3-Way, but would on a real abandoned call.

The issue the OP may have is more and more line facilities simply do not have DC current interruption at all.

Reply to
David Lesher

Often times in "phone mail jail" while I'm hold I will hear a pop and the dial light blinks, suggesting my line was momentarily disconnected from the CO. Is that what you folks are talking about? Indeed, I think I've had this even when served by a crossbar.

It tells me they hung up on me without answering my call. Happens far too often, very frustrating (yesterday, as a matter of fact, on a toll call, no less). (Also happens when someone answers the call but isn't speaking to me, rather I hear them speaking to someone else in the room. Then they hang up the phone.)

Also, when I pick up the phone it pops and the dial light blinks before I get the dial tone.

HOWEVER, on my mother's former line (different prefix, but served from same CO bldg), there were no pops at all.

Reply to
hancock4

That would most likely be the problem.

Reply to
Sam Spade

It's a Sipura device, who got bought out by Linksys, who got bought by Cisco

Enabling CPC should be an "easy" setting to change, if I know what Verizon calls it. CPC is a common tool used by PBXes, answering machines, COCOTs etc to detect when the far end hangs up.

Well, I will try contacting the cisco people, but, getting Verizon (Fairpoint) to contact Nortel seems like it would take an act of Congress! This is the same company when I asked about "disconnnect supervision" told me they "never heard of that" yet it is listed on their "telecom glossary" on their website!

The line sits at -48 volts when on-hook, and when off-hook it drops to about 7ish volts. Then, when the far end hangs up, the line still sits at 7 volts or so and dial tone returns until I go back on-hook.

Exactly! That's what I am trying to get Verizon to enable for me! Now, how do I explain this to the Verizon people who have "worked for the company 20 years and have never heard of this"?

-Rick

Reply to
hemiguy1977

Wouldn't the solution be to remove call waiting service from any lines connected to a key system? After all, it wouldn't be all that useful since you would have no idea whether the new call on the line was destined for the same person as the existing call. Besides, shouldn't lines connected to a key system be in hunt group/ring down configuration?

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

hemiguy1977 wrote in news:5b291663-4699-4a5d- snipped-for-privacy@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Rick.

Sorry about the late post/reply.

One important item missing from your description is "who" or what end initiated the call?

The text below should help explain a few of the call release proceedures as applied to end office subscriber lines.

Note: Any reference made to a loop battery reversal on line side terminations (Loop/Ground Start), signify a far end answer supervision sent back to the origination calling end. Reverse battery signaling does not denote a signal on line side terminations.

Timed-Release Interval for Loop-Start and Ground-Start Interfaces

The following timed-release criteria apply to loop-start interfaces and may be used on ground-start interfaces.

The duration of the timed-release interval shall be greater or equal to

10 seconds and equal or less than 12 seconds.

The duration of the timed-release interval should be as close as possible to 10 seconds consistent with meeting requirement.

Loop-Start Interfaces

This following requirements apply when the call-terminating interface uses loop-start signaling and the call-originating interface disconnects first.

An SPCS shall apply a timed-release interval to the call-terminating interface.

If an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from the loop-start call terminating interface during the timed-release interval, the SPCS shall return the interface to the idle state using the immediate-release procedure.

Call-Originating Interface Disconnects First.

The procedures in this section apply when an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from the call-originating interface before detecting a disconnect signal from the call-terminating interface. The procedures in this section do not apply to connections between ICT interfaces and OGT interfaces (tandem calls).

When a disconnect signal is detected from a call-originating interface, an SPCS shall use the immediate-release procedure to return a loop-start interface to the idle state.

When a SPCS detects a disconnect from a ground-start interface, the SPCS shall return the interface to the idle state using the immediate- release procedure or the ground-start guard-release procedure.

It is an objective that the ground-start guard-release procedure be used on a call-originating ground-start interface.

When a disconnect signal is detected from a call-originating interface, an SPCS shall immediately release all connections call- originating interface and the call-terminating interface.

Call-Terminating Interface Disconnects First.

The procedures in this section apply when an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from the call-terminating interface before detecting a disconnect signal from the call-originating interface. The procedures in this section do not apply to connections between ICT interfaces and OGT interfaces (tandem calls).

When a disconnect is detected from the call-terminating interface, an SPCS shall maintain all connections between the call-originating interface and the call-terminating interface or be capable of restoring the connection between the interfaces without delay.

When a disconnect is detected from the call-terminating interface, the SPCS will apply a timed-release interval to the call-originating interface.

If the call-terminating interface returns to the off-hook state during the timed-release interval, the SPCS shall return both interfaces to the communication state.

If an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from the call-originating interface during the timed-release interval, the SPCS shall immediately release all connections between the call-originating interface and the callterminating interface.

Loop-Start Interfaces

This following requirements apply when the call-originating interface uses loop-start signaling and the call-terminating interface disconnects first.

An SPCS shall apply a timed-release interval to the call-originating interface.

If an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from a loop-start calloriginating interface during the timed-release interval, the SPCS shall return the call-originating interface to the idle state using the immediaterelease procedure.

If an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from a loop-start calloriginating interface during the timed-release interval and if the callterminating interface uses loop-start signaling, the SPCS shall return the call- terminating interface to the idle state using the immediate-release procedure.

If an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from a loop-start calloriginating interface during the timed-release interval and if the callterminating interface uses ground-start signaling, the SPCS shall return the call- terminating interface to the idle state using the immediate-release procedure or the ground-start guard-release procedure. O13-51 [507]It is an objective that the ground-start guard-release procedure be used on a call-terminating ground-start interface.

If an SPCS detects a disconnect signal from a loop-start calloriginating interface during the timed-release interval and if the callterminating interface is an OGT interface, the SPCS shall return the callterminating interface to the idle state using the OGT release-guard procedure.

No Disconnect Signal Received Before the Expiration of the Timed-Release Interval

This sections specifies the actions an SPCS will take when an interface remains off-hook after the expiration of the timed-release interval.

At the expiration of the timed-release interval, the SPCS shall immediately release any connections between the call-originating interface and the call-terminating interface that have not been previously released.

Requirement applies when a disconnect signal is detected from the call- terminating interface first. Connections between the call-originating interface and the call-terminating interface are released before the timed-release interval when a disconnect signal is detected from the call-originating interface first

.. Loop-Start Interfaces

The following requirements apply when the interface remaining off-hook uses loop-start signaling.

When a loop-start line remains off-hook after the timed-disconnect interval, an SPCS shall provide an option to apply the timed-disconnect release procedure or apply permanent-signal treatment

The preferred procedure is to apply permanent signal treatment. Permanent signal treatment prevents certain kinds of fraud. However, the timed- disconnect release procedure may be needed to maintain compatibility with some connecting equipment.

When selected, the option specified shall apply to all SPCS loop-start interfaces.

It is an objective that exceptions to the SPCS selected option be permitted on a per-loop-start interface basis.

The reverse loop current feed signaling state is used to provide a service called line-side answer supervision. Line-side answer supervision provides the calling party with an electrical indication that the called party has answered the call.

When the call is answered the SPCS interface applies RLCF to the calling- party access line.

Not all SPCS loop-start interfaces have to be capable of applying RLCF to a loop-start access line. However, the SPCS must provide the capability of applying RLCF to a specific loop-start access line when deemed necessary by the network provider.

Regards,

Bill

Reply to
Field.Ops

Don't hold your breath. CPC seems to be a forgotten stepchild.

I'm told that many current SLC [tm Lucent] and other similar boxs don't even have the ability to interrupt the loop current on a pair. Real switches may, but it's not always used.

After all, why should Ma help you cheat them? (Any time it's something beyond dial tone, you must be a bad person out to do that...)

If you want CPC, just buy ground-start trunks!

Sigh: ISDN BRI *did* give you honest-to-gosh supervision, call status, you name it. I always think of that when She pour all that Bell_Juice about how FIOS will solve all problems.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.