Feeding Frenzy [telecom]

There's a law of human nature that says when a hurricane is coming, everyone goes out and buys everything off the supermarket shelves, empties every gas station, and lays in a supply of water adequate to keep niagra going for a month.

I witnessed this today, when my wife asked me to pick up some hamburger and bread and eggs, all of which are usually available from a local market with little fuss. However, at /my/ local market, there were shoppers lined up five or six deep at eleven checkout stands, and I, thinking it an aberration, went to a different store. The scene was repeated, and I realized that most of those in line had filled their shopping carts to the brim with /PERISHABLE/ meat, poultry, eggs, etc.: if they're afraid of a storm, why aren't they afraid of losing their power?

I have my own generator, and enough gasoline to keep it going for a couple of days, so I'm not worried about buying hamburger: even so, I didn't pick up anything that I wouldn't eat within 48 hours or that couldn't withstand a day in an unpowered refrigerator. I /did/ indulge in some discount cans of mushroom soup - funny how the best bargains are to had when everyone is buying something else - but nothing that would be ruined by a day without power.

All of this is neither here nor there as far as telecom, but it led me to wonder if the urge to buy up all the food - or anything else - is likely to be reflected in the telecom world. Is there a way to measure sales of cell phones and to see if they've spiked in the last couple of days?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

You're fortunate. Unfortunately, for those of us in an apartment it's not a practical option.

I've heard of some people investing in a "whole house" generator, a large permanent unit able to power an entire house. They're expensive. But with nasty storms on a regular basis that create extended power failures, they may be justified.

It would be interesting to see the reliability of traditional landline, cell phones, cable, and VOIP telephone services during and after the storm in affected areas.

They expect widespread and long lasting power outages, and it will be interesting to see how long cell towers in such areas remain operational (or are overwhelmed by call volume).

FWIW, in our area many robo-calls have already been sent out by various agencies already with storm preparation recommendations.

Reply to
HAncock4

Not necessarily: if you have a fire escape, a small inverter unit would be quiet enough to use. It would have to be outdoors, of course, and I don't know if that includes air wells, but there /are/ units that are quiet enough for apartment buildings that would keep your refrigerator cold.

I don't have a "whole house" generator; it's a 5,000 watt model that will power my furnace and the refrigerator and a few lights or maybe a stove-top burner, but it's not intended to provide transparent or instantaneous changeover. I have to manually transfer power from the utility line to the generator, after I wheel the genset out of my shed and yank it through the mud and run the special 220v cable out from my transfer switch.

"Whole house" units that run from Propane or Natural gas cost a lot more, and I didn't feel the expense was justified. They need a cement pad, gas pipe, buried wires, and regular professional maintenance: it was just too much for my budget. I bought the one I have for $567 after last year's October storm, which left me out for two days and my sister out for six. It was a discontinued model that Home Depot was selling at a discount, so I was able to justify the expense, since I was competent enough to wire the transfer switch and 220 volt cable myself.

The problem with nasty storms is that the power company sometimes turns off power as a precaution: they're afraid of getting sued if someone drives over a downed line, not to mention the zillions of TV sets and computers that can be damaged by power surges when wires cross. Some electric utility companies won't endure the risks: a little lost revenue is nothing compared to what a high-powered attorney could get in a contributory negligence tort.

That leaves you and me to fend for ourselves, and /that/ means generators.

Do you have any statistics from New Jersey? You're in the path of the storm, so please tell us what the "official" figures are.

Operational, well, that's a thorny issue. Requirements vary from one state to another, and there's always the temptation to "magic pencil" battery checks and genset tests. Call volume, not so much: with businesses closed, the volume won't be an issue.

Did the "1-000-000-0000" CID mark the call I got as a "Reverse 911" communication?

Reply to
Bill Horne

Your local fire chief would get very, very, upset if she saw a gasoline powered appliance on your fire escape...

Reply to
danny burstein

This strikes me as be If I run over a kid, I'm going to back up and run over him again. They can ding me real bad for wrongful death but but a crippled kid will be getting everything I make for the rest of my life.

A little drizzly rain here in Nova Scotia. At the expense of y'all in NJ, we lucked out when Sandy took a sharp left.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Well, there's /saying/ it, and then there's /doing/ it. I'd bet that your cow-orker would stop and do what he could, just like the rest of us, because that's what decent people do.

A lot of American industry, however, has been taken over by amoral opportunists who think that not being caught in a lie is the same thing as telling the truth: witness the fines that Duke Energy paid when they were caught creating "shortages" of power in California.

Not sharp enough: although I was very amused at how hard the TV reporters were working to make a few whitecaps look like the end of the world, the wind did pick up to the point where we had a lot of downed trees here. I lost one of the pines that line my back yard: it went so quietly that I didn't even notice until my wife pointed it out this morning. Not as dramatic as the arc flash I saw last night, but (pun intended) it hit a lot closer to home.

As luck would have it, it only took out a section of chain-link fence, so I'm good, but I'm going to call up an insurance agent and find out what would happen if one of the other trees hits my house next time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

The "Reverse 911" robo-calls my City of New Haven placed had caller-ID showing as 203-946-7669 (New Haven City). Those from my University, likewise, showed the principal (switchboard) number for that institution. Not a single 10-zero call showed up all October :-) . HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.