FCC Fines Verizon $1.35 Million for Using 'Supercookies' [telecom]

Under a settlement announced today with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Verizon Wireless must pay a fine of $1.35 million and adopt a three-year plan for using so-called "supercookies" only with customer consent.

Verizon came under investigation by the FCC in late 2014, after it was discovered that the company was inserting unique identifier headers (UIDHs), otherwise known as supercookies, into customers' mobile Internet traffic without their knowledge or consent. The supercookies enabled Verizon to track users' online habits and deliver more targeted ads to them.

formatting link

+--------------------------------------------------------------+

Incipient-Paranoia-Department ...

Why is it that large fines and "three year plans" always seem to span the months surrounding presidential elections?

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 13:51:14 -0500, Bill Horne asked:

Because three out of four three-year plans will of necessity span (or at least be tangent to) an election year,while only one will fall neatly between election years -- after all, election years fall 4 years apart.

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

- - Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'm at a loss on how to categorize the above post: I've narrowed it down to either "Humor - Deadpan" or "Humor - Hyperbolic". Your thoughts?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
tlvp

I've categorized it as "Simple Mathematical Truth". Any random 3-year plan has a 3 out of 4 chance of hitting a

4-year election date. It's even higher if you include the primary.

Very simple proof: start sample 3-year plans at the beginning of every month for 4 years. Count how many of those 3-year spans hit an arbitrary date.

Reply to
Ron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.