Do Cellphones Cause Brain Cancer? [telecom]

Do Cellphones Cause Brain Cancer?

By SIDDHARTHA MUKHERJEE April 13, 2011

On Jan. 21, 1993, the television talk-show host Larry King featured an unexpected guest on his program. It was the evening after Inauguration Day in Washington, and the television audience tuned in expecting political commentary. But King turned, instead, to a young man from Florida, David Reynard, who had filed a tort claim against the cellphone manufacturer NEC and the carrier GTE Mobilnet, claiming that radiation from their phones caused or accelerated the growth of a brain tumor in his wife.

"The tumor was exactly in the pattern of the antenna," Reynard told King. In 1989, Susan Elen Reynard, then 31, was told she had a malignant astrocytoma, a brain cancer that occurs in about 6,000 adults in America each year. To David Reynard, the shape and size of Susan's tumor - a hazy line swerving from the left side of her midbrain to the hindbrain - uncannily resembled a malignant shadow of the phone (but tumors, like clouds, can assume the shapes of our imaginations). Suzy, as she was known, held her phone at precisely that angle against her left ear, her husband said. Reynard underwent surgery for her cancer but to little effect. She died in 1992, just short of her 34th birthday. David was convinced that high doses of radiation from the cellphone was the cause.

Reynard v. NEC - the first tort suit in the United States to claim a link between phone radiation and brain cancer - illustrated one of the most complex conceptual problems in cancer epidemiology. In principle, a risk factor and cancer can intersect in three ways. The first is arguably the simplest. When a rare form of cancer is associated with a rare exposure, the link between the risk and the cancer stands out starkly. The juxtaposition of the rare on the rare is like a statistical lunar eclipse, and the association can often be discerned accurately by observation alone. The discipline of cancer epidemiology originated in one such a confluence: in 1775, a London surgeon, Sir Percivall Pott, discovered that scrotal cancer was much more common in chimney sweeps than in the general population. The link between an unusual malignancy and an uncommon profession was so striking that Pott did not even need statistics to prove the association. Pott thus discovered one of the first clear links between an environmental substance - a "carcinogen" - and a particular subtype of cancer.

The opposite phenomenon occurs when a common exposure is associated with a common form of cancer: the association, rather than popping out, disappears into the background, like white noise. This peculiar form of a statistical vanishing act occurred famously with tobacco smoking and lung cancer. In the mid-1930s, smoking was becoming so common and lung cancer so prevalent that it was often impossible to definitively discern a statistical link between the two. Researchers wondered whether the intersection of the two phenomena was causal or accidental. Asked about the strikingly concomitant increases in lung cancer and smoking rates in the 1930s, Evarts Graham, a surgeon, countered dismissively that "the sale of nylon stockings" had also increased. Tobacco thus became the nylon stockings of cancer epidemiology - invisible as a carcinogen to many researchers, until it was later identified as a major cause of cancer through careful clinical studies in the 1950s and 1960s.

But the most complex and most publicly contentious intersection between a risk factor and cancer often occurs in the third instance, when a common exposure is associated with a rare form of cancer. This is cancer epidemiology's toughest conundrum. The rarity of the cancer provokes a desperate and often corrosive search for a cause ("why, of all people, did I get an astrocytoma?" Susan Reynard must have asked herself). And when patients with brain tumors happen to share a common exposure - in this case, cellphones - the line between cause and coincidence begins to blur. The association does not stand out nor does it disappear into statistical white noise. Instead, it remains suspended, like some sort of peculiar optical illusion that is blurry to some and all too clear to others. (A similarly corrosive intersection of a rare illness, a common exposure and the desperate search for a cause occurred recently in the saga of autism and vaccination. Vaccines are nearly universal, and autism is relatively rare - and many parents, searching to explain why their children became autistic, lunged toward a common culprit: childhood vaccination. An avalanche of panic ensued. It took years of carefully performed clinical trials to finally disprove the link.)

The Florida Circuit Court that heard Reynard v. NEC was quick to discern these complexities. It empathized with David Reynard's search for a tangible cause for his wife's cancer. But it acknowledged that too little was known about such cases; "the uncertainty of the evidence . . . the speculative scientific hypotheses and [incomplete] epidemiological studies" made it impossible to untangle cause from coincidence. David Reynard's claim was rejected in the spring of

1995, three years after it was originally filed. What was needed, the court said, was much deeper and more comprehensive knowledge about cellphones, brain cancer and of the possible intersection of the two.

Allow, then, a thought experiment: what if Susan Reynard was given a diagnosis of astrocytoma in 2011 - but this time, we armed her with the most omniscient of lawyers, the most cutting-edge epidemiological information, the most powerful scientific evidence? Nineteen years and several billion cellphone users later, if Reynard were to reappear in court, what would we now know about a possible link between cellphones and her cancer?

To answer these questions, we need to begin with a more fundamental question: How do we know that anything causes cancer?

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Why not ask the millions (billions?) of dead mice that have given their lives over the decades to establish pretty solid statistical probabilities that many things cause cancer?

You might also want to look at the statistics of the victims of the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan, there seem to be some pretty solid indicators there as well.

"How do we know that anything causes cancer?" What a dopey question!

Reply to
David Clayton

This was a popular hot potato with my science and engineering professors.

We have never proven, in a scientific sense, that smoking causes cancer in humans. Why? The experiment would be unethical. We would have to take a large group of people, tell them to smoke for 30 years, and have the control group never smoke. And just because it causes cancer in non-human species doesn't mean it'll affect humans. This is the sliver of hope that the tobacco industry hangs on to. Remember, this is the industry that fought efforts to prevent children from smoking claiming smoking has never killed a child, which is technically true since they haven't smoked long enough to die from it.

This brings me to a wider topic and I hope I don't stray too far off course. I really get the sense that nothing is true and everything is true. Pick your hot button topic: cell phones and cancer, global warming, vaccines and autism and you can find mountains of "research" "proving" both sides of the debate. It depends on who funds the research and how the numbers are spun.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

Folks who are worried about getting brain cancer from cell phones simply should not use them. After all, we survived rather well without them before 1982. Same as with cigarettes: if you don't smoke 'em or hang out around smokers, you can't get cancer from them.

ET

Reply to
Eric Tappert

Why do some of those mice get cancer, and others -- exposed to _exactly_ the same experimental items -- do *NOT*?

Same question: why did some of those so exposed develop cancers, and others did _not_?

The *fact* is that we do _not_ know of ANYTHING that causes cancer.

Such a thing would mean that _every_ person who was exposed to it would develop cancer.

A 'statistical correlation' is *not* _proof_ of CAUSATION, unless the correlation is exactly 1.0 (or -1.0).

Yes, the _risk_ of contracting cancer is well-established to be significantly higher if one is exposed to various things on an ongoing basis -- but nobody has quantified 'how much' exposure to what things, over what period of time, _will_ result, within a specified time-frame, in a particular type/size of cancer in any given individual.

'Causation' is _not_ proven, all that is incontrovertibly established is "contributing factor" -- many would say "significant contributing factor".

Aside: personal opinion is that "(significant) contributing factor" _is_ sufficient basis to restrict/regulate and/or assign 'liability'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Don't be silly. I knew a guy who shot himself in the head and survived. (He died from other causes about 50 years later.) Therefore shooting people in the head at close range doesn't cause them to die. On the other hand, if you survey the population of people born before 1896, every single one of them who drank any water is now dead. Therefore, drinking water killed them all.

Biological processes are complicated and subtle, and figuring out what's a cause and effect rather than a coincicence, or a correlation with some other cause is tricky. It requires both a good understanding of statstics and a good understanding of the biological processes. Simplistic misstatements of statistics don't help.

Like I said, if there's any biological effect of cell phones, it's subtle, since there's tons of data and at least so far, that data hasn't said anything clear one way or the other. Based on what I've seen, any risk of cancer is swamped by the risk of stepping into the street without looking while you're talking on the phone and being hit by a bus.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Take your own advice,

Yes, despite the fatally (pun intended) flawed reasoning you employed, that _is_ correct.

You draw an invalid conclusion by assuming/implying that 'lack of proof of causation' is equivalent to 'proof of lack of causation'. _JUST_ being shot in the head does *NOT* invariably cause death.

"Figures don't lie, but liars can figure" applies.

Available evidence is that drinking water kept them alive for years. OTOH, everyone from that time who stopped drinking water is dead.

Aside: there have been more than a dozen deaths in the U.S., in the last decade, for which the official cause of death was identified as the excessive consumption of water. These are not 'drownings', they are what is clinically known as 'acute water intoxication'.

My point, precisely. *NOBODY*KNOWS* the _entire_ process that leads cancer to develop. If they did, one could predict exactly "who" would develop cancer,and _when_ it would appear. Further, eliminating any _one_ of the 'critical' causative factors would prevent the cancer from developing.

Agreed. Other forms of radio transmitters, at more-or-less similar (within an octave plus/minus) frequencies, emit radiation at power levels so much higher than a cell phone that the 'equivalent' exposure is at a distance from the transmitter that is measured in miles. Everyone within that radius of said transmitters is so exposed, and that exposure has occurred for _decades_ longer than cell phones have been popular.

The scaremongers mostly claim "we don't know enough to say there _isn't_

*any* danger", and want things restricted/banned "until shown to be _absolutely_safe_".
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

That doesn't make sense to me: when I was in the Army, some of the troops smoked cigarettes, and said "this is nothing compared the chances I'll get killed by .

I never smoked, and I don't think I should have just because there were other risks to watch out for. It cuts both ways, doesn't it?

ED

***** Moderator's Note *****

OK, I didn't know that could happen: if you can't change the subject line on a post you want to reply to, try using the "Forward" option instead. If that doesn't let you change the subject line, then let me know and I'll find a way around the problem.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Ernest Donlin
[Moderator snip]

After reading all the responses, I have a better idea. Let's start an internet rumor that cell phones only cause cancer when used while driving an automobile. We can make up something like the reflections of the radiation from the metal in the car concentrates the bad effect in the driver's brain. Since everything on the internet is true for a lot of folks, we probably could impact the number of deaths and injuries resulting from talking or texting drivers, which is very probably much larger than the brain cancer cases.

Just a thought....

ET

Reply to
Eric Tappert

But unlike your examples, they're both (ear cancer and bus strikes) consequences of mobile phone use. Stop using the phone and they both go away.

I realize that if people were sensible, they would not talk on the phone while attempting to steer (whether a car or one's own feet), but if people were sensible, there's a whole lot of problems we wouldn't have.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Has someone else been reading this thread?:

formatting link

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.