Disconnecte cell phones and 911 access? [Telecom]

Some questions...

Is it still true that a cell phone that is no longer in service with a carrier can still be used to dial 911?

Will such a phone transmit the GPS coordinates?

Can the phone be called back by the 911 center? They can seize a landline and ring it back, but what about a cellphone or a disconnected cellphone?

What calling number shows up at the 911 center from a disconnected cell phone?

Thanks! Any other info would be appreciated.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

It probably varies with E911 centers.

I doubt any E911 center can seize a cell phone "line." It's a radio, not a wireline device connected via a local loop that has the capability to hold the line up. But, either a line is held or it is released. If it is held then it cannot be called back. And, if it is released, it still cannot be called back unless the calling party goes back on-hook.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Yes. Any mobile phone can dial 911 (and GSM phones can also dial 112) from any phone regardless if there is a working account associated with that mobile handset.

Perhaps it will if it's either a phone that has built in GPS or if it's a phone that regularly uses GPS. I'm not sure.

No. A telephone where the account has been deactivated they cannot be called back.

If it has been deactivated it cannot be called back.

I don't know, but it's likely not the number that was on the phone when it was active. It may come up with no directory number at all.

Reply to
Joseph Singer

No. No. No. Sigh. Typical garbage that passes for reporting these days. The FCC has zero authority over what flight attendants do or say on board the aircraft. The FCC does regulate radio devices and can specify that certain devices only be used on the ground, but they can't require flight attendants figure out if someone was violating that rule or taking any action against the user.

The FAA (which has the authority over electronics in the cabin, not the FCC) operates on a "prove it's safe" model. Either the manufacturer or the operator has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that there won't be any interference. Furthermore, that has to be done on every model aircraft, inlcuding the ones that were designed before cell phones were a gleam in anyone's eye.

So far, the only companies willing to underwrite the costs of those studies are the ones putting picocells inside the aircraft cabin, which also deal with the FCC restrictions on cell use at altitude.

Now, do cell phones interfere with the navigation instruments onboard the aircraft? Empirical evidence would suggest not - given the number of people I've observed that ignore the prohibition on cell use and the years they've been in use. That said, if that prohibition weren't in place, you can bet the trial lawyers would be falling over themselves to file wrongful death lawsuits after the next crash.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.