Digital Culture, Meet Analog Fever

The marginalization of the physical has propelled it into the realm of luxury.

by Rob Walker

In the course of a recent move, I decided to "cut the cord" - that is, walk away from cable television and fully embrace the streamed- entertainment revolution. I felt very digital. Just a few weeks later, however, I discovered something that surprised me: Thousands of my fellow cord-cutters have taken to buying antennas, to pick up the seemingly quaint format of over-the-air television signals.

I initially resisted joining those going out of their way to spend extra money on an object that was traditionally part of the default TV apparatus. But of course these are not your father's antennas, as they say: The new iteration promises far better picture quality over greater range, without constant adjustment (or strategic tinfoil enhancement).

formatting link
fever.html

***** Moderator's Note *****

I unplugged my cable feed about seven years ago, and up until my recend move, I used an antenna and Netflix for entertainment. Now, I've not only cut the cord, but the TV: I didn't bring one with me, and I don't intend to buy one.

I notice, however, an almost Pavlovian need to see TV at night, as if all the years of watching have imprinted me with some reptilian need to feel connected with my neighbors by sititng in front of a boob tube and sucking up the American gestalt in 12-minute long homilies to rugged individualism, stoicism, and marksmanship.

I'm thinking of joining the local V.F.W. - just to have something real to do; something that makes a difference.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.