DC cellphone may be overwhelmed [telecom]

Cell phone carriers are concerned that a high volume of traffic may overwhelm their systems on Tuesday of the Inaugural.

See:

formatting link
(If anyone is down there or has info or how it actually operated, could you share it with us?)

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Tues, 11:30 a.m.

Representatives for the nation?s largest wireless carriers, AT&T and Verizon Wireless, said customers? delays in making and receiving phone calls is what they had projected, even with a boost in network capacity.

?Things are holding up well so far,? said Mark Siegel, AT&T Mobility spokesman. ?There is minor congestion here and there, but nothing unexpected.?

Exacerbating the problem is the number of inauguration-goers who are jubilantly sending photos and videos using their cell phones, as well as to post them on the Internet, and to Twitter, sending short-form messages.

Mobile Web, e-mail and Twittering ?use bandwidth as well,? said Verizon Wireless spokeswoman Debra Lewis.

She said the carrier?s network in the D.C. area is ?handling three to five times the normal call volume,? but that ?even in the most crowded spectator areas nearest the Inauguration stands at the U.S. Capitol, the vast majority of calls are going through on the first attempt.?

CTIA, the wireless trade industry association, has asked phone users to minimize that kind of activity, and wait until later to send or e- mail images, because of the network capacity it essentially hogs.

for full article

formatting link
[This article was posted on MSNBC at 11:30 am. Traffic will probably increase significantly during and after the new president's speech.]

Reply to
hancock4

T-Mobile didn't deliver incoming calls to me; I was at the west end of the mall. I don't know if outgoing was working.

My VZ-using friend reported a ~30% success rate trying to dial out.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.