Cost of low-use payphone? [telecom]

Would anyone know accurately the going rate for a phoneco provided pay phone?

Payphones on private property always had cost/commissions. If a payphone had low use, the property owner had to cover the cost of the phone to the phone company. If the payphone had heavy use, the property owner would get a commission from the telephone company.

AFAIK, this policy continues to this day. Obviously with wide spread cell phones many payphones have been pulled out.

Some public transit carriers maintain public pay phones in their stations, partly for traditional communication use, but also as a double role to serve as an emergency phone; that is, anyone could use the phone for free to call 911 for help.

Presumably it's cheaper (and more convenient for the public) to have a general use payphone than a dedicated private 911 phone.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'll add my own question: what does it cost to buy your own cocot instead of getting one from the ILEC?

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Hard to say, since there is more than one telco. The going rate in VZ-OH is in the $90 range last time I checked. Reading ahead, there is NO commission and you normally don't get a credit on coins anymore. Of course, YMMV based on traffic and telco.

OTOH, a COCOT is about $20 less and the price of a phone ranges from about $400 to $900.

formatting link
gets you to the G-Tel website where we purchased our last payphone.

We ended up putting this on a (gasp) PBX extension. Last time I checked, I thnk the customer had collected a magnificent sum of $17 in coins after the first 12 months of operation :-)

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

According to newspaper reports, the property owner selects the default long distance carrier for the payphone and gets a commission from long distance usage. As such, the long distance could be relatively cheap and still offer coin long distance (e.g. 25c a minute), or require a calling card or collect and charge quite dearly for its use ($10.00- $20.00 for the connection charge).

[I believe our moderator, Pat, when in charge of the bus station, had an inexpensive pay phone for the public.]

$70 a month for a phone line seems high, even for a specialty line for coin service.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.