Chips in official IDs raise privacy fears [Telecom]

Chips in official IDs raise privacy fears

By TODD LEWAN, AP National Writer Saturday, July 11, 2009

(07-11) 12:38 PDT (AP) --

Climbing into his Volvo, outfitted with a Matrics antenna and a Motorola reader he'd bought on eBay for $190, Chris Paget cruised the streets of San Francisco with this objective: To read the identity cards of strangers, wirelessly, without ever leaving his car.

It took him 20 minutes to strike hacker's gold.

Zipping past Fisherman's Wharf, his scanner detected, then downloaded to his laptop, the unique serial numbers of two pedestrians' electronic U.S. passport cards embedded with radio frequency identification, or RFID, tags. Within an hour, he'd "skimmed" the identifiers of four more of the new, microchipped PASS cards from a distance of 20 feet.

Embedding identity documents - passports, drivers licenses, and the like - with RFID chips is a no-brainer to government officials. Increasingly, they are promoting it as a 21st century application of technology that will help speed border crossings, safeguard credentials against counterfeiters, and keep terrorists from sneaking into the country.

But Paget's February experiment demonstrated something privacy advocates had feared for years: That RFID, coupled with other technologies, could make people trackable without their knowledge or consent.

He filmed his drive-by heist, and soon his video went viral on the Web, intensifying a debate over a push by government, federal and state, to put tracking technologies in identity documents and over their potential to erode privacy.

Putting a traceable RFID in every pocket has the potential to make everybody a blip on someone's radar screen, critics say, and to redefine Orwellian government snooping for the digital age.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

A technology which may be disabled by a sheet of aluminum foil is hardly a threat to our rights. When they start injecting chips under the skin of newborn babies, _that's_ when we have lost the battle.

Bill

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Assuming you *know* where *all* the RFID chips are on your person, you might be able to shield them.

How do you know that the clothing you wear doesn't have an active chip still embedded in it?, or your shoes, or anything you just purchased at a shop, or your watch, or your mobile phone or or or or or .......

And the potential for someone to "bug" you for a nefarious purpose also raises its head.

Reply to
David Clayton

formatting link
A related article is here:

formatting link

The related article claims the supplied sleeves can be compromised; seems to me an aluminum foil solution would be easy, inexpensive and effective -- no need to wear an aluminum foil hat and lead-lined underwear. :-)

IIRC, the under-the-skin RFID chip was pioneered 10+ years ago in San Mateo CA and mostly used for pets and recovery thereof. I write "mostly" because I seem to recall the technology is already being used for newborns in some countries.

Searching SFGate's articles finds these related article (e.g., chipping workers (yes, it's being done), etc.):

formatting link
?f=/c/a/2007/08/12/EDG00REOHJ1.DTL
formatting link
but not the specific article I was seeking. Googling "RFID chips in babies" is an eye-opener, read while sitting down.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

In "The President's Analyst", The Phone Company proposed to put the chip directly in the brain of the, er, telephone subscriber.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Maybe they already did, are your sure that Flu shot had nothing else it it?

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Several years ago I bought a pair of shoes from K-Mart, every time I went in to to a Walmart the alarm would go off as I entered the store, finally a manager put my shoes through one of their scanners and sure enough my shoe had an anti-theft RFID Chip in it, he just scratched his head and deactivated it.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

In "Enemy of the State", all of the protagonist's clothes and shoes and watch and pen were replaced with RFID chipped copies.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Heh - yeah. If they could get the passport RFID's they could read them on the credit cards too.

Reply to
T

The "Presidents Analyst" was remarkably prescient. So was "The Prisoner."

Ah, but he never got to _really_ meet Number One, did he? Did that mean he could never know who his leaders were, or was it intended to portray the ambiguity of Number Six'es motivation in refusing to accept what he always was?

Bill

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

I had my Credit Union deactivate the chip in my card and opted out of another one. A few years ago Mobil Oil had chip key chains and one day I noticed credit card charges in a bunch of cities all over the country at the same time. When I found out what it was I smashed that key chain into a million little peaces and joined a suit against them, but that suit went nowhere.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Yes he did, when he was finally released, that series was used in a class I took in college.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

I have always interpreted it as simply "We are our own worst enemy." It is very difficult to realize this, as it was for Number 6.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

There are any number of ways to interpret that final episode, so there's no way you can be wrong. It helps to have drunk as much whiskey as McGoohan had in him when he wrote it.

The part I always loved was McGoohan's recounting of the submarine tryout: he had paid for a gen-u-ine submersible machine that would guard The Village's beaches. The thing sank straight to the bottom, leaving them with no way to portray the impossibility of escape by sea. According to McGoohan, while the crew was contemplating the deminse of the submersible, someone noticed a weather baloon in the distance, and McGoohan sent someone off to obtain some samples. The result was one of the most iconic "implacable enemy" images ever put on TV: one that Steven Spielberg paid homage to at the start of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark".

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

"Slippery slope" comes to mind, Bill. Also, we have already lost a lot of battles: it's the war that is still not quite decided.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.