Cellphone savings worth research

SPENDING SMART Cellphone savings worth research Competition for wireless customers leads to a bewildering array of options - and a price war

By Todd Wallack, Globe Staff | July 12, 2009 The Boston Globe

When we looked into switching cellphone companies recently, we were soon drowning in options.

T-Mobile USA alone offers more than 40 individual and family plans. Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint Nextel offer dozens more. And then there's a pack of upstarts offering prepaid service, including Boost Mobile (a unit of Sprint Nextel that uses Nextel's network), Virgin Mobile USA (which uses Sprint's network), and MetroPCS (which has its own network in Boston and some other cities.)

The great news is that all this competition has sparked a price war of sorts. Boost Mobile recently made a splash by offering unlimited calls and text messages for $50 per month - half the price of traditional plans with unlimited minutes. Virgin Mobile countered by offering unlimited calls for $50 (or $60 if you add in text messages). Now some say their plans are even cheaper. MetroPCS charges $40-$50 for unlimited calls and text. And TracFone just launched its own $45 option called StraightTalk.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

"For instance, we found a T-Mobile prepaid plan that allowed us to buy a block of 1,000 minutes good for a year for $100, which works out to less than $9 per month, less than one-third of the cost of the cheapest traditional monthly plans."

I pay $15.00 every three months on Virgin. That averages to $5.00 per month.

Here is how it is done: Go to

formatting link
Check out Virgin Mobile phones and plans. Buy one of their phones and activate it.

While activating it look at the selection where you will make a top- up of $20.00 every three 90 days BUT while in that area of the site you pick AUTOMATIC top-up of $15.00 every 90 days linked to either: PayPal Credit Card or Debit Card

Want a one-time savings of even more? If you enter Kickbacks Code number: yQqUHOsQ when signing up we EACH get get 60 minutes of bonus airtime after you add money to your account

formatting link

Reply to
www.Queensbridge.us

I use T-mobile pay as you go

formatting link
My $100 refill valid for 1 year gives me 1000 minutes plus 150 bonus minutes. I only use it for emergency or if I don't have any other options. For my regular long distance calls, I use Onesuite prepaid long distance card and some times its VoIP service.

Reply to
Zee

I have been a happy OneSuite customer for several years, BUT recently have been making as many calls from home using GoogleVoice for free. My phone book book of frequent contacts is on my computer's googleVoice interface. Only works for free intra-USA.

If I am not at my computer but at home I still use OneSuite for almost all of my calls, even to other a few blocks away. Verizon charges me

11¢ to connect a local call. I can talk forever. OneSuite charges me 2.9¢ CPM thru their toll free number. So this is cheaper then VZ for very short calls. Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time. Works FROM many other countries. Compare the rates at
formatting link
No monthly fee or minimum.
Reply to
www.Queensbridge.us

We are on the same boat. I also have Onesuite.com and Google Voice. But when my PC is turned off, I just use my Onesuite even though I'm going to call a US number, especially if its just a short call. I don't bother to turn my PC on for something that will only cost me a few cents. You are right about how Onesuite works from other countries as I've tried making calls from U.K. back to the U.S. last winter.

BTW, where did you get the Onesuite promotional code FREEoffer23?

Reply to
Fring

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.