Catching Exam Cheats With a Spectrum Analyzer [Telecom]

In today's (12-JAN-2011) Slashdot:

Catching Exam Cheats With a Spectrum Analyzer

Police in Taiwan have used a set of spectrum analyzers to catch at least three people suspected of cheating

on an exam by monitoring them for mobile phone signals. Officers used three FSH4 analyzers specially configured by the German manufacturer Rohde & Schwarz to monitor an exam in south Taiwan for prospective government workers.

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

I am a Volunteer Examiner for amateur radio licenses and manage the testing team in my town. We require that examinees turn off their mobile devices and put them on the floor under their seats. If they say that they were planning to use the calculator built into their device, we say "no" and offer them the use of one of the four-function calculators I carry in my box of testing supplies. We routinely examine any calculators which they bring, making sure that all memories are flushed.

Dick

***** Moderator's Note *****

Cheating on an exam for government employment could be interpreted in two different ways -

1. As an unfair and illegal practice that deprives those who studied the manuals and worked hard to prepare for the exam.

1. As a part of the test designed to screen out those who aren't willing to cut corners and break rules in order to get results.

You could argue it either way ...

Bill

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Richard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.