Calling Old Numbers In Ads [telecom]

Reading the original letter (or press-release, I can't tell) of Julia-Louis Dreyfus joining the cast of Seinfeld[1] got me thinking, does anyone have any interesting stories of calling old phone numbers that are still working, that were featured in ads or other documents, especially pre-internet? (besides the ones that are now "chat lines", which probably comprises 95% of them). This is something that I do anytime I come across old numbers in the ads in Network World magazine on books.google.com, but unfortunately, I don't have any interesting stories to tell.

I called the number below, and it's not working, but it does have a generic greeting that mentions the building's main number, and another number for NBC telemundo.

[1]
formatting link
Reply to
Justin Goldberg
Loading thread data ...

Justin Goldberg wrote in :

I have considered calling some old BBS numbers triggered by this article by Jason Scott:

formatting link

The old number for my BBS was re-allocated to a friend of a friend and I heard via that link a few years later that the new owners of that number did get weird silent calls sometimes.

Koos van den Hout

Reply to
Koos van den Hout

The same with my old BBS number, the board has been down for years, but I still have the line, in the middle of the night it will ring.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.