CacheLogic Announces Worldwide P2P Audio/Video File Format Study

Greetings all -- the following news announcement from CacheLogic details their latest analysis of the actual P2P data traffic worldwide across the Net, obtained through direct packet monitoring of Internet backbones and ISPs data streams via Layer 7 packet analysis. For this study, we determined what kinds of audio and video file formats are being actually traded on the major P2P networks, on a weighted basis.

The results certainly surprised me -- key details are:

- Overall Mix of P2P traffic by volume, across the 4 major P2P networks:

Audio: 11.34% Video: 61.44% Other: 27.22%

- Microsoft video formats represent 46% of aggregate worldwide P2P traffic.

- 65% of all audio files by volume of traffic are still traded in the MP3 format, but a surprising 12.3% are in the open-source OGG file format (almost all of which are exclusively traded on the BitTorrent network, particularly in Asia - this last *really* caught me by surprise, as I did not believe OGG had anywhere near this kind of market penetration!)

- BitTorrent is increasingly being used for the distribution of legitimate content.

If you are interested in seeing the complete Powerpoint presentation with these and other details, just reply back and I will forward it on to you. Also, if you wish to interview CacheLogic regarding this, please don't hesitate to call me on my mobile number and I'll quickly facilitate that for you.

As always, should you no longer wish to receive these missives from CacheLogic, just reply back and we will immediately address this for you.

Cheers,

JH

First-Ever, Real-Time Traffic Analysis of File Formats Crossing Peer-to-Peer Released by CacheLogic

CacheLogic Technology Installed in Tier-One ISPs Worldwide Monitors Actual Network Traffic, Reveals Surprising Facts in Audio/Video Trends and Format Usage.

Cambridge, England August 9, 2005 CacheLogic, Ltd. a world leader in Peer-to-Peer traffic management and network intelligence solutions =96 today published a market study of file formats traversing the Peer-to-Peer Networks that identifies the formats of choice for audio and video files among file traders. This first-ever, truly definitive study is based not on estimates, but on actual packet data and traffic levels analyzed at Tier-One ISPs (Internet Service Providers) worldwide.

Using the advanced Layer-7 technology found in both its Peer-to-Peer Management Solution and Deep Packet Inspection products, CacheLogic analyzed terabytes of data to discover a number of surprising new facts regarding Peer-to-Peer audio and video trading across the entirety of the Internet.

Jonathan Hirshon Principal, Horizon Communications Vox - 408-969-4888 US Mobile - 408-393-4900 Euro Mobile (only when traveling) - (+44)(0)7791 156425 GnuPG Fingerprint - 3F31 D4FE 391C A0AA E7DE 124F 36FB E002 891C 8909 Automatically add my vCard into Outlook (etc.) at

formatting link
vcard.html See the current JH Music Library at
formatting link

Reply to
Jonathan Hirshon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.