Arc Flash [telecom]

I've seen the safety films.

I've seen the Utube videos.

I've seen the demonstrations.

/Nothing/ compares to what I saw tonight.

Right after I last wrote, I went out to get some more gas, just to have it on hand. On the way home after a trip to the gas station and the supermarket (which was nearly deserted, btw), I was taken aback by a "Detour" sign blocking the road: a tree had fallen across it while I was shopping. I started to make the turn onto the alternate route.

The sky lit up like God's own welding torch. It was an hv arc flash, which lasted over thirty seconds. I went down the road, and saw some smoke coming across, but no wires, so I kept going, but when I got up to the smoke I realized that the hv line was lying across someone's lawn, burning the grass.

I told the fire department.

I'm back on the generator just for long enough that my wife could cook dinner. I'll stop now.

Stay safe!

Bill

Reply to
Telecom Digest Moderator
Loading thread data ...

Good advice ('Stay Safe!") but I doubt it compares to this, the most active lightning location on Earth with over 8,000 lightning strikes a night:

1:15

1:49

5:45

2:01

2:43

:-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Yowch!!

Many years ago, I saw, from 3 blocks away, a crane swing its boom into a HV feeder line (10s of KV, between a 141kv step-down station and a 'local' substation), about 500 ft outside the step-down station perimeter fence. A sheet of flame 100+ ft wide, and 30-40 ft tall -- nearly blinding in broad daylight. 5+ seconds later, two 'somethings' blew (explosively!!) _inside_ the step-down station and the whole territory went dark. Don't know if it was a safety device or something self-detracting from the 'short'.

Biggest 'arc' I ever saw was a lightning bolt that struck a wooden utility pole about 50 ft away from me. Spilt the pole from the top about halfway to the ground. This was at night, so it was truly blinding.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.