Apple, Let Us Tune into Those FM Radio Channels [telecom]

You probably already know this, but your iPhone has an FM receiver built into it. So do most smartphones, for that matter. Most devices in the United States and Canada leave the FM chip disabled. According to FCC chairman Ajit Pai, that's something that manufacturers should change. He thinks consumers should be able to listen to FM radio with their smartphones. But, get this, he's not looking to force the manufacturers to do anything about it.

Mr. Pai thinks that "radio is vital" to our society. He pointed out that when cellular networks are knocked out, over-the-air radio becomes a lifeline. It provides the latest weather forecasts, directions on where to seek shelter, and information about relief assistance. "After hurricanes or tornadoes or floods," Mr. Pai told the North American Broadcasters Association's Future of Radio and Audio Symposium, "time and again, we see an exponential surge in radio audiences."

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Incipient paranoia department: given the fact that board designers have a religion called "minimum parts count", and that electrical engineers obsess over every femtoamp in a battery-powered environment, I find myself wondering what an unused FM receiver chip is doing in an iPhone in the first place.

Not many people know this, but FM stations are able to broadcast a subcarrier signal that isn't received on ordinary sets. It's mostly used to distribute Muzak or other subscription based audio programming, and sometimes for specialized broadcasts like the Physician's Radio Network (try listening sometime: the ads are amazing).

Subcarriers are also sometimes used for data transmissions: the speeds are slow, but good enough for low-bandwidth work like sending traffic alerts to GPS units, or, in the case of iPhones, weather warnings from the National Weather Service, lists of URL's, new ring tones, or secret messages to the Apple Geniuses who are getting ready to take over the world.

I wonder what a phsychiatrist would say.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

On 2/18/2017 12:41 AM, Mr. Moderator Noted,

It probably doesn't take a lot of extra components on the SOC to handle the radio, and if it's turned off it doesn't use power.

My Blackberry does make the FM radio available. But it only works when I have a corded headset plugged in: The headset cord is the FM antenna. Bluetooth headphones wouldn't work. Apple has taken out the headset jack from its latest toy, so there is literally no way for the FM receiver to pick up the signal. An FM antenna wouldn't fit into the phone.

Also Hybrid Digital (HD) Radio, the digital-OTA scheme that never quite caught on here (I'm guessing because the license fee to use it is too high).

You've lived in North Carolina for what a couple of years now, and already you're turning loony? :-)

***** Moderator's Note *****

I get to eat grits for breakfast, go to a farmers' market on Saturday, buy gasoline at $2.15/gallon, and pay less than $1,500/year in taxes. We did get some snow last month: as much as an inch in some places, but it melted away before I could make a snowman.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.