Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

USA's Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009 [Telecom]
I don't recall seeing this posted previously, so here's the URL to the [USA] "Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009": It's 4 pages and 125 KB.

Temporary Moderator Announcement
Bill is off on a couple of weeks of vacation, and asked me to fill in as moderator in his absence.

Hacker group plans more protests [telecom]
An article in SF Gate describes the hacker group "Anonymous" and its future plans. "Anonymous is anyone, and therefore it's everyone. It's a cause, an idea, a network, a rallying point, its supporters...

Handheld credit card validator for LIRR [Telecom]
"The NY MTA announced that the LIRR has launched a pilot program using hand-held Ticket Issuing Machines that allow customers to purchase tickets on board trains with all major credit and debit cards....

[Telecom] VOIP Technical Support (or lack thereof)
Several months ago, I was subscribing to a VOIP provider on a two year contract. About four months before the contract was up, the audio on my end became so garbled that I couldn't understand my...

Re: BART cuts off subway cell phone service [obfuscate]
About 20-30 years ago, when cell phones were a lot newer, some people wanted to jam cell phones on their private property, to prevent disturbance of other patrons. The FCC dealt with these cases under...

Re: Bell Logo History: Doing Business As....
The confusion about the names of the Bell Companies comes about because in most instances they did not change their names on divestiture (1984). The companies hold "Certificates of Public Convenience...

Banks told of security flaw with use of caller ID
Banks told of security flaw with use of caller ID By Hiawatha Bray Globe Staff / August 20, 2011 A Boston consumer advocate warned yesterday that JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Bank of America Corp. make it...

Your Voice Mail May Be Even Less Secure Than You Thought
Your Voice Mail May Be Even Less Secure Than You Thought By RON LIEBER August 19, 2011 For all of the palace intrigue recently about who in Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation kingdom knew what about...

Verzion workers to return to work [Telecom]
"Leaders of the unions that have been on strike against Verizon Communications announced on Saturday 8/20 that they were ending the walkout even though the two sides had not reached an overall...

[telecom] advertisement poking fun at the AT&T takeover...
***** Moderator's Note ***** The URL shown is this post requires an additional component be available to deliver the content. That component might already be installed on your computer, but it's up to...

EFF-Autin says BART violated at least two federal laws [telecom]
***** Moderator's Note ***** This post contains quotes drawn from a website which belongs to the Electronic Frontier Foundation of Austin, Texas. EFF-Austin was originally formed in 1991 with the...

Bell Logo History [telecom]
Bell System Memorial- Bell Logo History http://www.porticus.org/bell/bell_logos.html

Americans and Their Cell Phones [telecom]
Americans and Their Cell Phones Mobile Devices Help Solve Problems But Create New Annoyances August 15, 2011 More than eight in ten (83%) American adults own some kind of cell phone. These devices...

Shame On You! [telecom]
(This is an email which I sent to the editors of The Philadelphia Enquirer.) To the Editors, The online version of the Inquirer for August 17th contains an image which insults both the individual...