Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Whoa - Apple Wins a 3D Display & Imaging System Patent Stunner [telecom]
Whoa - Apple Wins a 3D Display & Imaging System Patent Stunner Patently Apple September 13, 2011 The US Patent and Trademark Office officially published a series of 13 newly granted patents for Apple...

EXchanges (was: area code named beer) [telecom]
> Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:54:51 +0000 (UTC) > To: > Subject: Re: area code named beer > Neal McLain wrote in > news: [snip] > The Telephone EXchange Name Project website has a lot of > material on...

AT&T advert from 1970s re: World Trace Center [telecom]
Video advertisement discussing the telephone equipment that was needed before the buildings could work.... in the website's discussion, they comment that "None of AT&T's employees were hurt in the...

August browser stats: Safari dominates mobile browsing [telecom]
August browser stats: Safari dominates mobile browsing By Peter Bright Ars Technica Our browser stats post is late this month. The source we normally use, Net Market Share, has changed the way it...

Cellcos ripping people off (was: Does SMS messaging keep going ...) [telecom]
Which is why so many of us were absolutely torqued when the cellcos increased the cost for individual text messages from piddling to 20 cents or more for providing the service charging 1000% or more...

Fuse Panel Recommendation [telecom]
Can someone recommend a -48V DC fuse panel for a telecom rack that would meet two requirements: - let us manually configure the fuse or circuit breaker for each piece of equipment, up to 30A per box...

Please help to reconstruct the Telecom Digest Archives [telecom]
Thanks for reading this: Robert Bonomi and I are working on updating the Telecom Digest archives, and we need your help. We're looking for original Usenet posts and Digest emails sent out from July...

"Next Bus" telephone information system [telecom]
The New York City Transit Authority has introduced a new telephone "app" that tells riders waiting at a bus stop when the next bus will come, using real time information. I'm impressed by it since it...

Do cellphones measure signal strength? [telecom]
When I see 3 bars (out of 4) on my cellphone (not necessarily during a call), does that mean: 1) The cellphone is measuring the strength of pings it occasionally receives from the nearest tower, and...

ANCIENT telephone transmission [telecom]
Cast your mind back to the first decade of the last century, no computers, no transistors, no valves. I'm mainly interested in the situation in Australia, which may or may not be the same as the...

Cell phone service and disasters article [telecom]
An article on CBS News explores if we can count on cell phone networks in disasters. excerpts: "Since 9/11, wireless networks have been tested time and again, and their performance has been shaky. A...

Re: Does SMS messaging keep going when cellular voice is down? [Telecom]
In Message-ID , Bill Horne asked: Yes and no. SMS keeps going when the cellular voice traffic is so heavy that the system seems like it is down. SMS uses the signaling or paging channels and does not...

Re: Does SMS messaging keep going when cellular voice is down? [telecom]
It depends on what you mean by down. The link between your phone and the tower is the same for voice and SMS, so if the tower is not operational due to an extended power loss or the backhaul link...

Non-standard character sets in posts sent to the Digest [telecom]
action probably violated section 333 of the Communications Act. The mobile providers? decision to give control over the mobile service repeaters/microcells to BART also probably violated the terms of...

Does SMS messaging keep going when cellular voice is down? [telecom]
I just read an email that claims cell phone text messaging (SMS) keeps going when cellular voice service is down. Please tell me if this is true or not. TIA. Bill