Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Net neutrality rules kick in November 20 [telecom]
This is from cnet: The FCC rules--the outcome of years of debate--lay out specific Net neutrality principles and essentially let Internet service providers ration access to their networks while...

"The Invention That Changed the World (radar)" [telecom]
I came across the following book, which may be of interest to readers of this newsgroup. "The Invention That Changed the World" by Robert Buderi, 1996, is about the development and implementation of...

Cell phone service to NYC subways [telecom]
As a subway rider, I am not thrilled with this. When a train comes in the station is very noisy, but between trains subway stations are actually rather peaceful and relaxing. "After years of promises...

Apple cuts French App Store's 'Jew Or Not Jew' App [telecom]
Apple cuts French App Store's 'Jew Or Not Jew' App September 14, 2011 SAN FRANCISCO-Apple Inc. has removed a mobile app, called "Jew or Not Jew?", from its online App Store in France. The app let...

Stingray Phone Tracker Fuels Constitutional Clash [Telecom]
" For more than a year, federal authorities pursued a man they " called simply "the Hacker." Only after using a little known " cellphone-tracking device -- a stingray -- were they able to " zero in on...

Data breaches affect 2m in Mass. [telecom]
Data breaches affect 2m in Mass. Firms increasingly targets for hackers, Coakley warns By Hiawatha Bray Globe Staff / September 21, 2011 Personal information from nearly one out of three Massachusetts...

History - Dial Telephones in the US Senate [telecomm] [telecom]
Here is an interesting historical note on our prestigious senators and advancing technology. June 25, 1930 Senate Considers Banning Dial Phones [cid: Carter Glass (D-VA) In the spring of 1930, the...

Smartphone suggestions? [telecom]
Any suggestion for my friend who wants a better smartphone? He lives in NYC but he travels a lot. I haven't looked at VZW's stuff recently. Do they have anything decent that will work on foreign GSM...

Apple makes a hash of password security (again) [telecom]
Apple makes a hash of password security (again) Shadow boxing By John Leyden 19 September 2011 Apple has dropped a couple of monumental password security clangers with the release on OS X Lion,...

Hackers break SSL encryption used by millions of sites [telecom]
Hackers break SSL encryption used by millions of sites Beware of BEAST decrypting secret PayPal cookies By Dan Goodin in San Francisco 19 September 2011 Researchers have discovered a serious weakness...

OnStar Begins Spying On Customers' GPS Location For Profit [telecom]
OnStar Begins Spying On Customers' GPS Location For Profit Posted on September 20, 2011 by Jonathan Zdziarski I canceled the OnStar subscription on my new GMC vehicle today after receiving an email...

Strange new at&t rumors [telecom]
In today: "AT&T is reportedly trying to sell off subscribers and spectrum to smaller regional carriers to save its proposed bid for T-Mobile." Editorializing, ZDnet suggests, "It looks like the idea...

AppleCare preparations hint at iOS 5.0 release around Oct. 10 [telecom]
AppleCare preparations hint at iOS 5.0 release around Oct. 10 By Neil Hughes September 13, 2011 Apple has reportedly informed its AppleCare division to expect an influx of iOS-related inquiries from...

Plenty of Chatter About a New iPhone [telecom]
Plenty of Chatter About a New iPhone By NICK BILTON SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 We're just weeks away from the announcement of the new Apple iPhone 5, according to an Apple employee who asked not to be named...

Looking for AT&T CoinSoft Software [telecom]
Any chance someone has the old CoinSoft software for the AT&T Private Pay Phone Plus phones? I believe they originally came on 5.25" floppies. I just got three of these phones, but I can't program the...