Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

60 hz as a time standard [telecom]
Many decades ago my Uncle was a district manager for PG&E, and one of the perks was a cabin at a turn-of-the-century hydrogenerating facility that had been automated a long time ago. His cabin was the...

BART considering a policy on cell phone shutdowns [telecom]
According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, California's Bay Area Rapid Transit system is considering a policy on when it will shut down cellular access in BART stations and on trains. I get the...

LightSquared takes off the gloves [telecom]
According to a story at LightSquared has decided to get down in the political mud to further it's claim that it can coexist with GPS. While trying to pull off the largest bandwidth grab in...

FCC Announces Changes to Universal Service Policy [telecom]
The FCC has released news of its new policy on Universal Service: rest of this post is quoted from the FCC site) Connect America Fund & Intercarrier Compensation Reform Order and FNPRM Executive...

'Steve Jobs' review: Walter Isaacson's biography mesmerizes [telecom]
'Steve Jobs' review: Walter Isaacson's biography mesmerizes Walter Isaacson weaves a full and often revealing tale that brings 'Steve Jobs' to life through interviews with the late Apple visionary and...

Please comment on my new blog [telecom]
There's a company here in my neighborhood that is looking for experts in a program called WordPress, so I'm looking for advice and how-to's that will get me up to speed quickly with the "new" way that...

Comcast v AT&T dispute over access charges [telecom]
Bill, I thought this was an interesting analysis. It's certainly on-topic for once. :-) Comcast Unhappy With Free Market Title I Nirvana. Demands "Access Charges Bailout" But No Reg Oversight.

Review: Newfangled Nest thermostat is hot [telecom]
Review: Newfangled Nest thermostat is hot ... Except that this is the coolest thermostat I've ever come across. Nest smashes any preconceived notions of what a thermostat ought to look like and how it...

Dropbox: The Inside Story Of Tech's Hottest Startup [telecom]
Dropbox: The Inside Story Of Tech's Hottest Startup Victoria Barret, Forbes Staff 10/18/2011 (This story appears on the Nov. 7, 2011 cover of Forbes.) Here's that rare Steve Jobs story, one that's...

QR Codes (was A quizzical response to the new bar codes) [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > How is this different than what "Cue-Cat" tried to do? > Does anyone remember Cue-Cat? > > Bill Horne > Moderator Cue-cat required the user to use a special device...

Technology: A bipartisan attempt to regulate the Internet? [telecom]
Technology: A bipartisan attempt to regulate the Internet? October 26, 2011 Leaders of the House Judiciary Committee introduced a beefed-up version Wednesday of the Senate Judiciary Committee's...

RE: Edison's power network [telecom]
For an interesting description of the competition between AC and DC, I heartily recommend "Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World" by Jill Jonnes. Mike...

A quizzical response to the new bar codes [telecom]
A quizzical response to the new bar codes By Beth Teitell Globe Staff / October 8, 2011 Katie McLoughlin, a hip South End resident, was strolling Newbury Street when she saw something she'd never...

Screen Time Higher Than Ever for Children [telecom]
Screen Time Higher Than Ever for Children By TAMAR LEWIN October 25, 2011 Jaden Lender, 3, sings along softly with the "Five Little Monkeys" app on the family iPad, and waggles his index finger along...

Ars Technica accuses AT&T of buying support for the T-Mobile purchase [telecom]
Ars Technica has an article that says AT&T is paying donations to multiple charitable organizations who support it's purchase of T-Mobile. (Remove QRM from my email address to write me directly)