Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

"Siri, how much data do you gobble up in a month?" Ars investigates [telecom]
"Siri, how much data do you gobble up in a month?" Ars investigates By Jacqui Cheng Apple's new iPhone 4S has been in users' grubby little hands for a bit over two weeks now. One of the main features...

U.S. Cellular rejected Apple and the iPhone 4S [telecom]
U.S. Cellular rejected Apple and the iPhone 4S NOVEMBER 4, 2011 BY MIKE FLACY ... Reported in a third quarter earnings call this week, U.S. Cellular CEO Mary Dillon told investors that the company...

Apple iOS 5 Review [telecom]
Apple iOS 5 Review by Vivek Gowri, Andrew Cunningham, Saumitra Bhagwat & Brian Klug 10/18/2011 3:05:00 AM The original iPhone was designed to address a significant user experience problem with...

T-Mobile surprises subscribers after testing 'Presidential Alert' system early [telecom]
T-Mobile surprises subscribers after testing 'Presidential Alert' system early NOVEMBER 5, 2011 BY MIKE FLACY ... Occurring on early Friday, a handful of T-Mobile customers were treated to a test of...

Emergency generators. [telecom]
Some years ago we had a windstorm (or hurricane) that knocked out power for days--a week for some people. This is not an uncommon problem in Maryland and the Eastern shore. Summer thunderstorms can...

Shameless plug [telecom]
Those of you who are involved with "Disaster Preparedness", or who are doing it for your own homes, are invited to scroll over to and read the thread that I started on this subject. It's titled...

Apple Concedes iPhone, iPad Battery Problem [telecom]
Apple Concedes iPhone, iPad Battery Problem By IAN SHERR NOVEMBER 3, 2011 Apple Inc. acknowledged that customers have experienced disappointing battery life on some of its devices, and said it will...

Cable's monopoly in data communications [telecom]
If you do nothing else today, read this article in the Harvard Law Review Journal: I got the link from the Cybertelecom-l mailing list. Susan P. Crawford has written an article entitled "The...

Uber: a car service you summon with a mobile app [telecom]
Test-riding Uber, the populist car service you summon with a mobile app By Scott Kirsner, Globe Columnist October 18, 2011 San Francisco-based Uber is planning to launch its transportation service in...

Standard Telephone Wire [telecom]
Can anyone recommend an outlet that still sells standard telephone wire? I am looking for a one thousand foot roll of plenum four conductor (or more) and I may need it fast. Everyone I call wants to...

Telephony on TV [telecom]
I just finished watching an old TV show on DVD where the telephone network was the prime factor in the show. It was the use of a company "Tie Line" between San Francisco to Hawaii that gave away the...

UK Met police using surveillance system to monitor mobile phones [Telecom]
Civil liberties group raises concerns over Met police purchase of technology to track public handsets over a targeted area Britain's largest police force is operating covert surveillance technology...

Samsung blows past Apple and Nokia, becomes No. 1 smartphone vendor [Telecom]
HTC takes top smartphone spot in U.S. according to Q3 data from Canalys The remainder of the article at the above URL is the full press release from Canalys.

A national test of the Emergency Alert System [telecom]
The first national test of the U.S.A.'s Emergency Alert System is scheduled for Wednesday, November 9 and all participants of the system are required to participate. The participants include TV...

60 hz as a time standard [telecom]
Many decades ago my Uncle was a district manager for PG&E, and one of the perks was a cabin at a turn-of-the-century hydrogenerating facility that had been automated a long time ago. His cabin was the...