Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Usenet gateway is still down [telecom]
To the subscribers: the Usenet gateway we use to post the Telecom Digest to is still down, and we're working on the problem. In the meantime, I've decided to release pending posts to the email...

Q.: Any recent T-Mobile GPRS changes? [telecom]
Adapted from an inquiry I posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile: Long story, sorry, but has anyone any inkling of what may be going on here, or what GPRS-ish stuff T-Mobile may have changed yesterday (or...

The end of POTS [telecom]
I got this link from Richard Shockey on the Cybertelecom-l mailing list. http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1110/DA-11-1882A1.pdfBill

Re: Self checkout apps [telecom]
It's rather obvious that you don't have a smartphone and are very averse to their value and readily put down anyone who chooses to use one. If you choose not to use modern technologies that's your...

Sixty Years Ago on Saturday 10-Nov-1951 Englewood "DDD" [telecom]
It was sixty years ago, on Saturday 10-November-1951, that Englewood/ Teaneck NJ had their nationwide long-distance dialing "trials". I don't know if there was an "end date" for these customer trials...

Telemarketers might get OK to call cellphones [telecom]
We've all seen the repeated warnings, make that WARNINGS, that the telemarketers were about to Get All The Cell Numbers or get directories or get the law changed to allow Robot Calls to cell phones,...

Bell Labs still kicking [telecom]
This is from ZDNET: By Stilgherrian Bell Labs may have been absorbed into Alcatel-Lucent and ditched basic physics research, but it's still producing breakthroughs in optics, quantum computing and...

Scan on a mission / Stop & Shop's new smartphone app works as a super-fast self-checkout [telecom]
Scan on a mission Stop & Shop's new smartphone app works as a super-fast self-checkout By Jane Dornbusch Globe Correspondent / November 9, 2011 BRAINTREE - Self-checkouts are so yesterday. And with...

Republicans move to block FCC appointments over LightSquared issue [telecom]
According to an item in the Cybertelecom-l mailing list, the LightSquared controvery continues, with Republicans moving to block replacements for the FCC: On Thursday, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa)...

Supreme Court to Hear Arguments in GPS Tracking Case [telecom]
The Electronic Privacy Information Center has filed an amicus brief in the GPS tracking case. The United States Supreme Court will hear arguments on November 8 to determine whether the warrantless use...

Keeping PBX fraudsters at bay [telecom]
Keeping PBX fraudsters at bay By Sam Varghese Monday, 07 November 2011 09:25 Business IT - Security With phone-hacking very much in the news, a small company in Israel has probably chosen the right...

I'm not alone in my dislikes [telecom]
I've discovered that I'm not alone in my dislikes; particularly my dislike of "smart" cellular phones. I recommend an article by Deborah D. McAdams: link courtesy of Michael Painter on the...

Re: Emergency generators [TELECOM]
You do NOT get your full car alternator output at idle, it's spinning barely fast enough to keep up with engine running loads of the EFI computer and injectors, fuel pump, electric cooling fan, etc....

Verizon API To Give Apps 'Turbo' Bandwidth Boost for pay [Telecom]
Verizon API To Give Apps 'Turbo' Bandwidth Boost by Mark Hachman November 1, 2011 Verizon will publish an API that could allow consumers to "turbocharge" the network bandwidth their smartphone apps...

Feds' Use of Fake Cell Tower: Did it Constitute a Search? [Telecom]
Feds' Use of Fake Cell Tower: Did it Constitute a Search? By Kim Zetter November 3, 2011 Federal authorities used a fake Verizon cellphone tower to zero in on a suspect's wireless card, and say they...