Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Broadband choices in Europe [telecom]
I've just seen a video at the link below: I recommend it for a good introduction to what is /possible/ vs. what is /happening/ here in the U.S. Horne

Re: MSNBC/NYT: Caller ID Forging [telecom]
I don't have copies any more, but I am very sure the Telcordia (Bellcore, back then when I worked with them) interworking standards for Q.931 to SS7-ISUP, as well as the various Generic Requirements...

Re: OSHA: Two Federal DOT Agencies Ban Hand-Held Phone Use [telecom]
Do these rules also apply to CB use, which is mostly truckers now? Wes Leatherock Occupational Health & Safety is the industry-leading news magazine, eNewsletter, and website for occupational health...

I'm looking for #5XB training manuals [telecom]
Thanks for reading this. I'm writing a brief talk about #5XB, and would appreciate pointers to traning materials. An overview document would be ideal, but I'll take anything. TIA. Bill

Skype flaw reveals users' location, file-downloading habits [telecom]
Skype flaw reveals users' location, file-downloading habits A team of researchers has uncovered an issue that imperils Skype users' privacy by putting their location and identity up for grabs By Joan...

The Digest has recovered from an outage [telecom]
To the readers, The Digest has just recovered from an outage that affected both Usenet and Mailing List subscribers. Since there were dozens of messages backup up, I have issued three digests today....

FCC removes report on AT&T/T-Mobile merger - Looking for original [telecom]
- forwarding over as the original discussion is semi-public, and he's asking for help in finding an original, unredacted, copy. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:29:17...

Video shows alarming capabilities of mobile tracking software [telecom]
Carrier IQ Video Shows Alarming Capabilities Of Mobile Tracking Software Devin Coldewey You may be aware of the growing controversy surrounding Carrier IQ, a piece of software found pre-installed on...

Red hot, smoking iPhone self-combusts on airliner [telecom]
Pics in the URL. hot, smoking iPhone self-combusts on airliner November 29, 2011 - 1:03PM Ben Grubb An Apple iPhone 4 was glowing red hot and emitted a "significant amount" of dense smoke as it...

Intercarrier Compensation and the Universal Service Fund [telecom]
The FCC has released a 759-page Report and Order on Intercarrier Compensation and the Universal Service Fund. Much of which is a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, meaning that close to half of...

P.S. on Mobile Informational Call Act [telecom]
Here is a blog from a banker's collection agency that is for the bill. They say if a consumer gives someone their cell phone number-- say an airline--the airline would not be allowed to call it to...

Pending legislation would allow robot calls to cell phones [telecom]
This bill apparently will allow sales calls to go to cell phones. As a low use cell phone user who still pays a la carte usage charges, I am naturally very upset at this proposal. Further, I don't...

[telecom] Telemarketing On Your Cell Phone?
On Point with Tom Ashbrook November 28, 2011 Telemarketing On Your Cell Phone? Congress may soon open up your cell phone to robocalls. Will this put a telemarketing hell in your pocket? Ever since...

Re.: Cell phones: more texting, less talking? [telecom]
Isn't it amazing how human beings (is it at a certain age level - or should I ask is it "up to" a certain age level) have become so non-verbal in their inter-personal communications? A huge amount of...

Cell phones: more texting, less talking? [telecom]
On the commuter train on Saturday I noticed it was quieter than usual. Typically on a weekend many passengers, especially the younger ones, are yakking away on their cell phones making the train...