Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

A look back at 2011 [telecom]
Well, it's that time of year again, and I've been going over the statistics from The Telecom Digest for 2011. There have been some surprises, and I'll share a few thoughts about them and about the...

A trip down memory lane [telecom]
Thanks to the nntp server, I'm able to bring you this message from the first days of the digest, more than thirty years ago. - - - - - - - - - >From geoff Fri Aug 28 22:50:38 1981 Communications...

Re: old NY Telephone HQ, was: Verizon backs down [telecom]
Having been with Southwestern Bell, not NY Telephone, I had no idea where that company had its headquarters, but having visited NY several times for the then AT&T I could tell you its headquarters...

Verizon backs down [telecom]
The Wall Street Journal reports that Verizon will not, after all, charge you $2 for the privilege of paying your bill. 's, John ***** Moderator's Note ***** This incident is the latest in a decades...

2012-2015: A Bleak Broadband Future Awaits America [telecom]
Bruce Kushnick put this on the Cybertelecom-L mailing list: 2012-2015: A Bleak Broadband Future Awaits America: Here's 14 Facts You Need to Know About. FCC, National Broadband Plan, 2010 "The United...

The outlook for the FCC and broadband: Not good [telecom]
This is from the Neiman Watchdog site, where the motto is "Questions the Press Should Ask". The outlook for the FCC and broadband: Not good by Bruce Kushnik If words were actions the FCC under Obama...

Boycott forces GoDaddy to drop its support for SOPA [telecom]
Here's something that some readers may not have seen in the holiday rush: it's from Ars Technica. Victory! Boycott forces GoDaddy to drop its support for SOPA By Timothy B. Lee Under intense pressure...

[telecom] The Joy of Quiet
The Joy of Quiet By PICO IYER December 29, 2011 LAST year, I flew to Singapore to join the writer Malcolm Gladwell, the fashion designer Marc Ecko and the graphic designer Stefan Sagmeister in...

Husband's reading of wife's email goes to Michigan Supreme Court [telecom]
Man charged with felony for reading wife's e-mail ready to take case to by L.L. Brasier, Detroit Free Press Michigan Supreme Court A Rochester Hills man charged with a five-year felony for reading his...

Verizon Investigates Third Data Outage in Under a Month [telecom]
Verizon Investigates Third Data Outage in Under a Month (Reuters) Verizon Wireless is investigating reports that some customers were experiencing trouble accessing its fourth generation (4G) network,...

LightSquared: Style Drift In The Service of Returns Is No Vice [telecom]
A partner at ACM Partners defends Phil Falcone - sort of Mr. Johnson doesn't mince words about how LightSquared is trying to avoid spectrum auction fees by re-purposing the SkyTerra ATC authorization,...

Mexican cartels build radio network for military precision [telecom]
Mexican cartels build radio network for military precision December 28, 2011 When convoys of soldiers or federal police move through the scrubland of northern Mexico, the Zetas drug cartel knows they...

misc: spies, spies, everywhere there are spies... [telecom]
Story about the Perkin-Elmer spymasters talking about their contribution to making the world safe for democracy... - while the KH spy satellite program was a kind-of open secret, the workers were only...

[telecom] High stakes fueling patent wars
High stakes fueling patent wars No clear victor as firms fight it out in court By Hiawatha Bray Globe Staff / December 26, 2011 A patent lawsuit won last week by iPhone maker Apple Inc. represented a...

I'd rather be right [telecom]
I came across the following while looking for something else, and I'm taking this opportunity to help its author strike a blow for all the bright young kids who had to deal with brain-dead school...