Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fwd: Web site charges that Verizon has avoided taxes [telecom]
It's amazing what you can dig up when you get beyond the fifth or sixth page of google results: I found a site called "US Uncut", which charges that Verizon made over 12 Billion in profits "last...

Fwd: Verizon CEO Cancels Appearance at CES 2012 [telecom]
Verizon CEO Cancels Appearance at CES 2012 By Sean P. Aune With only days left to go before the start of CES 2012, Verizon has announced that CEO Lowell McAdam will not be able to attend the keynote...

Fwd: Telephone Exchange Names [telecom]
I came across this article in Wikipedia: hope it's of interest. During the early years of telephone service, communities that required more than 10,000 telephone numbers, whether dial service was...

Wall Street's low-ball iPhone estimates bump into reality [telecom]
Here's a report from Fortune that says Wall Street estimates of Verizon and others' iPhone sales are off - but which way? - - - - - - Wall Street's low-ball iPhone estimates bump into reality By...

Sprint Puts Investment in LightSquared on Hold [telecom]
Sprint Puts Investment in LightSquared on Hold, Hesse Says Jan. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Sprint Nextel Corp. put its investment in a partnership with LightSquared Inc. on hold as the wireless venture seeks an...

Sprint grants LightSquared last-minute stay of execution [telecom]
This is from The Register: by Bill Ray Sprint Nextel has given wireless broadband biz LightSquared until the end of January to get FCC approval for its network, putting a hard deadline on the...

[telecom] Local theaters ready to bow to tweeters in the audience / But distraction to others a primary concern
Local theaters ready to bow to tweeters in the audience But distraction to others a primary concern By Beth Teitell Globe Staff / December 28, 2011 To tweet or not to tweet? That's the question facing...

CORRECTED! Telecom Digest Reader Survey [telecom]
From the survey analyst -- I GOOFED!! If you haven't already responded to the original survery, please DO NOT! The original survey went out with errors in the email addresses. Any response to the...

Political viruses attack phones [telecom]
Political viruses attack phones Dylan Welch January 2, 2012 IF YOU got a new smartphone for Christmas, beware - you may be a button-press away from becoming an unwitting participant in this century's...

Caller ID Name error [telecom]
A company selling a service to fix caller ID name errors for businesses, by contacting the 10 to 20 maintainers of databases that generally aren't updated from each other, uses this horror story to...

[telecom] Iran tricked U.S. spy drone into landing in country, report says
Iran tricked U.S. spy drone into landing in country, report says Electronic warfare experts used GPS spoofing techniques to snag drone, Christian Science Monitor says By Jaikumar Vijayan December 16,...

Cory Doctorow: The Coming War on General Computation [telecom]
A transcript of an interesting presentation can be found at not centered on telecom, it certain touches networking, surveillance, censorship, and SOPA... not to mention an attempt to put copyright in...

[telecom] Anonymous exposes 75,000 credit card numbers
Anonymous exposes 75,000 credit card numbers By Jolie O'Dell | Published: December 30 Hacker collective Anonymous has just dumped 200 GB of names, email addresses and passwords for around 860,000...

Happy New Year! [telecom]
Thank you all for your support and help in 2011. I appreciate your suggestions and kind words more than I can say, and I'm going to use your advice to improve this publication as much as I can in...

Year-end statistics: those who posted 10 or more times [telecom]
As part of my year-end analysis of the Digest's stats, I've compiled a list of those who posted to The Telecom Digest ten or more times during 2011. I've removed email address, since some of them have...