Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

The Save Our Political Assets act [telecom]
The Save Our Political Assets act, or "That's a nice Internet you got there - it'd be a shame if something happened to it"! I was just looking down a page of Google search results, and mentally...

Re: Ringing Finally Ended, but There's No Button to Stop Shame[telecom]
Setting an alarm on my iPhone 4 and then powering off the device and keeping it powered off through the time set for the alarm resulted in no alarm sounding. iPhone power off was accomplished via the...

English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout [telecom]
From Wikipedia: | To: English Wikipedia Readers and Community | From: Sue Gardner, Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director | Date: January 16, 2011 | | Today, the Wikipedia community announced its...

LightSquared seeks probe of GPS advisory board member [telecom]
LightSquared says the vice chairman of an official body, also on the board of a company fighting LightSquared, has a conflict of interest By Stephen Lawson, Computerworld IDG News Service -...

Falcone Meets With FCC About LightSquared [telecom]
I got this from DSLREPORTS, via a link in the Cybertelecom-L list. Hoping to Expedite Government Approval Process by Karl Bode Thursday 12-Jan-2012 LightSquared's primary backer, hedge fund...

More on the Captured U.S. Drone [telecom]
Another story from Bruce Schneier: this is from his "Schneier on Security" blog. There's a report that Iran hacked the drones' GPS systems: "The GPS navigation is the weakest point," the Iranian...

The Sovereign Keys Project [telecom]
Bruce Schneier provided a link to the Electronic Frontier Foundation's "Sovereign Keys Project". From the high-level summary, there are three changes EFF is advocating: 1. Replace warnings about...

Lightsquared/GPS [telecom]
LSQ has a license to use their frequencies and GPS devices use adjacent unlicensed frequencies, correct? Don't unlicensed devices (such as GPS) have to accept interference from other devices, as a...

AT&T responds to Senator Franken's questions about Callier IQ [telecom]
AT&T has sent a letter to Senator Al Franken, denying that it has used Caller IQ software for snooping on its customers. The letter, which appears on the Senator's official website, was sent by...

Federal agency finds that LightSquared's LTE network would [telecom]
from the PhoneDog blog: By Alex Wagner January 14, 2012 9PM LightSquared's been running into some issues with its plans to build out a 4G LTE network that's integrated with satellite spectrum for some...

LightSquared Network Causes 'Harmful Interference' to GPS, No [telecom]
by Dave Murphy, PC Magazine January 14, 2012 05:39pm EST Did federal officials just slam the final nail into the coffin for LightSquared? A letter released Friday by the Federal Aviation...

[telecom] Ringing Finally Ended, but There's No Button to Stop Shame
Ringing Finally Ended, but There's No Button to Stop Shame By DANIEL J. WAKIN January 12, 2012 They were baying for blood in the usually polite precincts of Avery Fisher Hall. The unmistakably jarring...

former Deutsche Telecom Execs charged with bribery by SEC [telecom]
This story is from December 30th, but I haven't seen it mentioned on other lists, so I'm publicizing it here. Written by: Stormy Beach The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has charged three...

LightSquared in 11th-hour effort to woo Washington [telecom]
By Jasmin Melvin WASHINGTON | Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:26pm GMT WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Telecom startup LightSquared is mounting a last-ditch effort to win U.S. regulatory approval for a new wireless network...

Setback for LightSquared [telecom]
The Wall Street Journal By AMY SCHATZ WASHINGTON--A government advisory board concluded that start-up LightSquared's proposed wireless network would significantly interfere with GPS devices, in a...