Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] Who Should Have Access to Student Records?
Who Should Have Access to Student Records? Education data can be useful, but privacy experts are concerned about data misuse. By JASON KOEBLER January 19, 2012 Since "No Child Left Behind" was passed...

[telecom] Justices Say GPS Tracker Violated Privacy Rights
Justices Say GPS Tracker Violated Privacy Rights By ADAM LIPTAK January 23, 2012 The New York Times WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Monday unanimously ruled that the police violated the Constitution...

AT&T Archives [telecom]
I don't know if this information has passed through Telecom Digest before, so I thought I'd pass it along just in case. AT&T has been uploading various historical videos to youtube. For instance, this...

[telecom] GOP Presidential Hopefuls Experiment With Mobile Ads in Early Contests
GOP Presidential Hopefuls Experiment With Mobile Ads in Early Contests Likely the 'Last Screen Someone Will Look at When They're Going in to Vote,' Mobile Also Allows for More Creativity, Engagement...

Authentic sound of telephone ringers [telecom]
A community theater performance of "Barefoot in the Park," which I saw recently, involved a Princess phone as part of the plot. When it rang (through the public address) the sound did not match the...

Re: Some unanswered questions from January 2011 [telecom]
On , 21 Jan 2012 04:53:51 +0000 (UTC) (Garrett Wollman) wrote, Joining in the disagreement... NAT is architecturally Right. It is only Wrong in the fundamentalist sense that, say, global warming can't...

[telecom] Diabetic Tester That Talks to iPhones and Doctors
Personal Technology Diabetic Tester That Talks to iPhones and Doctors by Walt Mossberg January 4, 2012 While consumer technology advances by leaps and bounds, the devices patients use to manage...

We need to talk about piracy... [telecom]
This is a couple of days old, but it's a more nuanced explanation of the issues surrounding SOPA and PIPA, including links to other well-thought-out pieces on the subject by other authors. by Danah...

A stake in the ground for IPv6 [telecom]
From an entry in the Cybertelecom-L list: according to everyone is going to start using IPv6 on June 6. I may have to buy a new router: or connect my Linux PC directly to the net! Has anyone else...

[telecom] How U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work
How U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work By CHARLES DUHIGG and KEITH BRADSHER January 21, 2012 When Barack Obama joined Silicon Valley's top luminaries for dinner in California last February, each guest was...

Cracking Teenagers' Online Codes [telecom]
Cracking Teenagers' Online Codes By PAMELA PAUL January 20, 2012 WITH her coordinated zebra-striped scarf, tights and arm warmers (arm warmers?), spiky out-to-there hat and pierced tongue, 34-year-old...

LightSquared says GPS interference testing was rigged [telecom]
by Marguerite Reardon, CNET LightSquared, the company seeking final FCC approval to build a nationwide 4G wireless wholesale network, said that a test showing interference between its service and GPS...

Federal body concludes LightSquared can't work with GPS [telecom]
A committee overseeing GPS said interference can't be fixed in months or years and called for an end to testing By Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service *January 13, 2012, 6:42 PM* -- A key federal agency...

[telecom] Supreme Court Chooses SOPA/PIPA Protest Day To Give A Giant Middle Finger To The Public Domain
Supreme Court Chooses SOPA/PIPA Protest Day To Give A Giant Middle Finger To The Public Domain by Mike Masnick Jan 18, 2012 Techdirt We've been talking about the Golan case, and its possible impact on...

Federal Committee Says No Remedy for LightSquared Interference [telecom]
The subject article appears on the Radio Resource Media Group web site. It details the latest and possibly the last roadblock for LightSquared's plans for a broadband roll out in rural areas of the...