Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

History--SF Chronical--telephone photos [telecom]
The San Francisco Chronical's online website, SF Gate, has a section on historical photos from the newspaper's archives. They have a series of pictures of various telephones taken over the years. They...

A picture is worth a thousand words [telecom]
Rule number one: never get a cartoonist mad at you. Rule number two: never get a friend of a cartoonist mad at you. Please look at this link:

Tiff over LightSquared reveals odd partnership [telecom]
by Stephen Lawson Computerworld Tiff over LightSquared reveals odd partnership Harbinger's Falcone, who started the carrier, took advice from a software executive but kept his distance IDG News...

[telecom] The Apple Bug That Let Us Spy on a Total Stranger's iPhone
The Apple Bug That Let Us Spy on a Total Stranger's iPhone BY SAM BIDDLE FEB 1, 2012 Every single iMessage to and from this man's iPhone - his friends call him Wiz - has been sent to us by accident....

The cereal box goes digital [telecom]
USA Today reported that General Mills, home of Cheerios, Pillsbury, Green Giant, and Betty Crocker, is looking into digital add-ons to its packaging. QR [Quick Response] codes, apps, augmented reality...

Proposed legislation triggered by Carrier IQ [telecom]
Apparently Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA) recently "released draft legislation that would require disclosure of monitoring software when a consumer buys a mobile phone [and] would prevent manufacturers...

Teen boots banned on account of cell phone smuggling [telecom]
I thought the following was rather silly at first, but it made the national news and I thought I'd share it. A Pottstown, PA (suburban Philadelphia) school district has banned a very popular style of...

Scanning QR codes can infect your smartphone [telecom]
Scanning QR codes can infect your smartphone Stuart Corner Monday, 30 January 2012 09:01 Your IT - Mobility Cybercriminals are using QR codes to infect mobile phone with malware in a rapidly growing...

[telecom] Google says one hour of video is now being uploaded to YouTube every second
Google says one hour of video is now being uploaded to YouTube every second By - New Scientist January 30 People who complain about some of the racier content on YouTube are often told that the sheer...

[telecom] FDA staffers sue agency over surveillance of personal e-mail
FDA staffers sue agency over surveillance of personal e-mail By Ellen Nakashima and Lisa Rein, Published: January 29 The Food and Drug Administration secretly monitored the personal e-mail of a group...

Fiber Optics Connectors [telecom]
Folks, I need to read up on fiber optics connectors. I'm familiar with the LC, ST, and SC type connectors. I understand that there are special connectors called APC (Angle Polished Connectors) and I'd...

Config advice for asterisk? [telecom]
Speaking of asterisk, can someone suggest a good source of configuration advice for asterisk? I currently have a SIP phone on my home LAN that is set up with external providers for inbound and...

[telecom] Every home needs its own IT guru
Every home needs its own IT guru Our growing number of gadgets means more questions for tech-savvy friends and family By Beth Teitell Globe Staff January 28, 2012 Why every household needs its own IT...

[telecom] Build Up Your Phone's Defenses Against Hackers
Build Up Your Phone's Defenses Against Hackers By KATE MURPHY January 25, 2012 Chuck Bokath would be terrifying if he were not such a nice guy. A jovial senior engineer at the Georgia Tech Research...

[telecom] Curbs backed on calls by drivers
Curbs backed on calls by drivers By Eric Moskowitz Globe Staff / January 27, 2012 Drivers would be banned from dialing and even holding cellphones under a bill endorsed by the Legislature's Joint...