Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] Disruptions: And the Privacy Gaps Just Keep On Coming
Disruptions: And the Privacy Gaps Just Keep On Coming By NICK BILTON FEBRUARY 19, 2012 SAN FRANCISCO - Another week. Another privacy debacle. This time, Apple is to blame. Yes, the company that has...

[telecom] Apple, Google and Others in Agreement on App Privacy
Apple, Google and Others in Agreement on App Privacy By NICOLE PERLROTH and NICK BILTON FEBRUARY 22, 2012 California's attorney general, Kamala D. Harris, said on Wednesday that the state had reached...

[telecom] Google to Sell Heads-Up Display Glasses by Year's End
Google to Sell Heads-Up Display Glasses by Year's End By NICK BILTON FEBRUARY 21, 2012 People who constantly reach into a pocket to check a smartphone for bits of information will soon have another...

Supermarket shop by mobile phone [telecom]
The "Giant" supermarket chain is offering a new shop by phone plan, called "peapod". At advertising billboards they have a QR (quick response) code for mobile phone uers. They then can select...

[telecom] Safari Trackers
Safari Trackers by Jonathan Mayer, a grad student at Stanford Web Policy Feb 17 2012 Apple's Safari web browser is configured to block third-party cookies by default. We identified four advertising...

Challenge/Response: The Only Way? [telecom]
As robocalls increase (up to 6x per day on my land line, enough times per week on my cell to be a PITA - yes, all phones are on both the national and state Do-Not-Call lists...) I keep coming back to...

How does a "Trunked" line between two 5ESS CO's work? [telecom]
My daughter moved about 10 miles from Houston city to the suburbs. She arranged to have her business line (713-467-xxxx)"trunked" to a residential line (281-496-yyyy) in Houston suburbs. The service...

LD carrier, what's that? [telecom]
For years, I used "usadatanet" as my LD carrier. It was not FGD; rather, you called a local POP, it answered & knew you from ANI/CID; you dialed 10D. The advantage was there were no monthly fees and...

Thank you, Robert [telecom]
I've just returned from a two-week stay in Maine, where I was asked to house-sit for an old friend who had to leave unexpectedly. My thanks to Robert Bonomi for taking on the Moderator job during my...

[telecom] FCC gently tightens rules on "robot calls".
Of course politicians and "non profits" are still exempt. And as all of us who are _still_ getting calls from "Rachel of Cardholder Services", we've just got to wonder how concerned the FCC/FTC really...

[telecom] [LightSquared] F.C.C. Bars the Use of Airwaves for a Broadband Plan
[ Several readers submitted items on this N.Y. Times article. ] [ I chose to run 'just one'; this one provided the best ] [ summary. -- rdb, temp. mod. ] F.C.C. Bars the Use of Airwaves for a...

[telecom] Researchers Discover Android Mobile Botnet 100k Strong
Researchers Discover Android Mobile Botnet 100k Strong by Paul Roberts February 10, 2012 A newly discovered malicious application circulating on third party Android markets in China has created a...

[telecom] For AT&T Customers, 'Unlimited Data' Has Limits
For AT&T Customers, 'Unlimited Data' Has Limits by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS February 13, 2012 Mike Trang likes to use his iPhone 4 as a GPS device, helping him get around in his job. Now and then, his...

Many users apparently don't care for CenturyLink [telecom]
According to a website called, appropriately enough, CenturyLink isn't making many friends lately. Of course, annonymous statements have to be taken with a grain of salt, but here's a tip: when people...

SNL Verizon 4G LTE skit gets it right [telecom]
SNL Verizon 4G LTE skit gets it right in so many ways by Mathew Miller - February 12 Summary: SNL writers create some clever spoof commercials and the latest one about Verizon and it's 4G LTE network...